Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS650G Cafe build

Like the title says

I just got the thing pretty much taken apart. In the process of taking it apart the headlight needs to be replaced because its broken.

Engine is out. Any tips on the rebuild? What should I be doing?

PLANS:
    K&N pods
    DJ III kit
    4-1 pipes
    Paint by yours truly

Any advice don't be shy

Thanks

PICS! thats my 2 cents

Comment

You have taken it all apart and don't have a plan?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        You have taken it all apart and don't have a plan?

Lol I have a plan. Just looking for advice before I tackle the engine. Like certain things I should be doing. I mostly had to pull the engine because I the boot screws are all seized and I need to drill them out. While the engine is out I was wondering what else I should do to it specically. I'm going to paint certain parts of it.

What paint should I use on the engine? Anyone with experience paint the engine. Like covers and carb parts and stuff like that.

Pics tomorrow

Dnt worry I took pics of the. Confusing stuff like wiring

I do need to pick up one of those seat/rear fairing things I've seen. I want to move the battery there

When people get rid of the airbox where do you put the ignition?

Comment

No on lnows?

Well started tackling the engine. Was looking online and can't seem to find a gasket kit for the bike. Any ideas?

Paint I can use?

Also. I'm working on the cams now. Took the cams out. What do I do with the chain. Just let it drop? Or take a link out and remove it? Not sure. Need to find out to move onto the cylinder head. Right now the chain is hanging by a screw driver

Comment

Hey Steve from Lowell,

*I* use Duplicolour High Temp Ceramic (500 degree) paint on motors. Comes in all sorts of colours (but I mostly stick to black or aluminium) and goes down pretty easy and lasts really well. They also make a 500degree clear coat now, which I have started using as well, just for more protection. Wont know how well it stays clear, or if it starts to "yellow" for some time, but we'll see.

Anyway, It looks to me like you've simply dove into the deep end here. If you dont have a Suzuki Shop Manual for your model, or at least a Haynes or Clymer manual (I would suggest all three actually if you can afford it, but the OEM shop manual is best) GET ONE BEFORE YOU MOVE ON!

As to your cam chain, DONT let it drop down into the crank, it can be a PITA to recover. And, some guys will do it and use a magnet to get it out, but, me, im paranoid, and dont like the thought of magnatizing any moving parts down there. Take a piece of wire and tie the chain up on the frame..

As for your motor.. A gasket kit may be hard to source, but I would check with Z1Enterprises.com. Actually, CALL them, because they may not have it in stock, but can source it for you perhaps.

For your tail/seat pan/fairings check www.airtech-streamlining.com in their "vintage" section for cafe bits.

I will tell you, you have bitten off A LOT, but, do your due diligence, research, read on the forum (use the search function, a lot of this stuff has been covered many times) and the only way to learn on these old bikes is to just get your hands greasy and DO IT!!

Good Luck!

tck

Comment

Thanks for the advice

I have the clymer one. Not bad. I'm just not a pro with the verbage and the photos blow. Most of the stuff I've done is common sense. The engine is out of the bike.

Thanks for the tips on the paint as well

I've been talking with somone onhere who is doing a build thread and imma end up getting the same tail and pan that he has from airtech

Ill defintely give Z1 a call

About the chain. Do I just slide the cylinder head of the wire so the chain doesn't drop?

Comment

To hold the cam chain, I use a coat hanger. Put a hook in one end to hold the chain, hang the other end wherever necessary. If you are removing the head, simply lift the head off, let the chain and hanger slip through the middle of the head. The hanger will still keep the chain from falling all the way down into the crankcase.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey Lowell, Im a bit curious as to the history of the bike?

Oh, and its tomorrow. Time for those pics!!
                  Last edited by Octain; 04-07-2010, 05:31 PM.
                  sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                  .................________-|___\____
                  ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Actually forgot to take pictures lol.. Ill go do it while there's light outside.

The history..

Has about 16k on it
                    Was sitting in someone basement for 9yrs when i got it for free..

I think all in all im $200 into it
                    Here's my 1st thread here all about the bike
                    This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Also i might have found my starting problems.. For some reason i put way too much oil in it.. I just can't read that gauge.. about 7qt were in it.lol dooh
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2010, 07:04 PM.

Comment

started on the gauges today and did a little engine work.

seized in boots.. no idea how im going to get those screws out..The grabit thing doesn't work at all

My chain holder

Piles of stuff.

most of this is not going back on.

part draws

My buddies bike he is working on next to mine

Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2010, 07:14 PM.

Comment

What I'm going for

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Comment

Would this exhaust work?

Comment

Originally posted by LowellGS View Post
                            you need to find out the size/spacing of the flanges. i have no idea what they are on that bike...............

i think there is an exhaust thread somewhere here. search button.

Comment

Okay. The bike is sold. But for future frerence I know now.

Thanks

I've been following this guys build on dothetone.com

Its great. I'm getting a lot more ideas for paint and things

Comment

Working...
                              X