Startup question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Startup question

I'm going to apologize in advance as I'm much more familiar with cars than with motorcycles, so if I call something a "doohickey" instead of a "whatchamacallit" then by all means educate me. On to the show!

Purchased my bike a little while ago but I've been storing it at my dads place as I didn't (still don't really) have room in my garage. When I first picked her up she needed a new battery as the old one wouldn't hold a charge. Replaced that and the bike started right up & idled like a champ. Classes start, a few weeks go by and I finally had time to pick it up today. Go to start it, it starts on the first try but struggles to idle (sluggish like is the best way I can describe it), then it dumps fuel all over the garage floor. There is a hose under the air box (under the seat, behind the carb) to nowhere where all the fuel was dumped from. After that it sounded like it wanted to start but it would never fire up. There is gas in the tank still, so I'm thinking I may have just flooded it? Anyways, onto the questions.

1) Is that hose supposed to go anywhere?
    2) When starting it up after a long while is there anything I should do?
    3) What should I check for if it doesn't start up later tonight?

TIA

tell us which model it is, as the petcocks are different for different years and models. Is your petcock on PRI? If so turn it to ON, that way the fuel is turned on and off by engine vacuum, there is no flow with the engine shut off. If it's been sitting a while fuel coming out is not that unusual. Once the bike sits a long time, float valves can stick open, when fuel is allowed in through the petcock the valves don't shut as they should to control the fuel level.. Try smacking the float bowl with something like a screwdriver handle, that may unstick it.

I'm guessing your is a 1980 or later bike?
    In 1980 the EPA mandated the overflow tubes go away, now if they overflow it goes into the airbox or worse, into the engine.
    On the earlier bikes any overflow just dribbled harmlessly onto the road beneath the engine.
    Sounds like yours went into the airbox and is coming out the airbox drain.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Sorry, I had an idiot moment, I'm so used to the other forums where my vehicles are listed. It's an 82 GS450L.

The petcock is in fact set to on, I'll try tapping on the float bowl tomorrow morning. Thanks.

Comment

I haven't been into a set of 450 carbs, I think they are standard Mikuni CV carbs.

Most likely you will need to spend an afternoon or two cleaning them.
        Use the procedure on Cliff's site. Easy stuff.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          I haven't been into a set of 450 carbs, I think they are standard Mikuni CV carbs.

Most likely you will need to spend an afternoon or two cleaning them.
          Use the procedure on Cliff's site. Easy stuff.
          Yup 34mm CVs.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

startup guestion, reply for 82 GS1100GL

TIA,Been sitting for a long time?
            Drain fuel out of gas tank,remove larger hose from petcock take a 2 foot piece of 5/16 ID hose and attach to fuel petcock,put petcock on prime,drain old fuel into old gas can for proper disposal.
            The fuel petcock has two hoses the smaller one is for vaccumn,the larger one is fuel supply to carbs,about 2 inches from petcock cut 1 1/2" piece out of fuel line and install a fuel filter.
            Remove spark plugs,take wire brush and clean electrode,use feeler gauge and set gap to .031.Check cylinder compession,remove right side cover on engine,put a wrench on large nut and turn clockwise, put your thumb over spark plug hole and see if air forces your thumb up,you want over 100 lbs pressure,put 1 oz.of motor oil down each plug hole to lubricate piston rings.Put rag over holes to keep oil from escape during compression test.
            Put plugs back and use some anti seize on threads,add 1 gallon of fresh fuel to tank.
            Charge battery to 12 VDC,run ground wire from starter solenoid mounting bolt, to negative post on battery,use 14 gauge wire and 1/4 ring terminals.
            Fully open choke lever,hold clutch in,do not turn throttle,put engine switch on run,turn key on,press start button,once it starts bring idle down slowly with choke,turn off choke once your in 2nd gear.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-16-2010, 10:36 AM. Reason: clarify steps

Comment

Hi,

A "dohickey" is on a KLR. Really. Look it up.

All the information you seek is in your "mega-welcome". You probably need to clean the carbs properly, go through the Stator Papers to test your charging system, change your oil because you probably have gas in it, and generally go through the maintenance lists necessary to resurrect these classic bikes. If you can't find your "mega-welcome", just click the link to my website in my sig below and find the "READ ME" page. Check out all of the articles there. They have lots of pictures to help you. (It helps me remember too.)

Keep us informed,

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by thombre View Post
                Been sitting for a long time?
                Drain fuel out of gas tank,put garbage can lid under bike to capture fuel,
                move fuel petcock to Prime this will allow fuel to drain through overflow hoses till no more gas flows.
                The fuel petcock has two hoses the smaller one is for vaccumn,the larger one is fuel supply to carbs,about 2 inches from petcock cut 1 1/2" piece out of fuel line and install a fuel filter.
                Remove spark plugs,take wire brush and clean electrode,use feeler gauge and set gap.Check compession,remove right side cover on engine,put a wrench on large nut and turn clockwise, put your thumb over spark plug hole and see if air forces your thumb up,you want over 100 lbs pressure,try puttting a little motor oil down each plug hole to lubricate piston rings.Put rag over holes to keep oil from escape during compression test.
                Put plugs back in,add 1 gallon of fresh fuel to tank.
                Charge battery,run ground wire from starter solenoid mounting bolt, to negative post on battery,use 14 gauge wire and 1/4 ring terminals.
                Open choke lever,hold clutch in,put engine switch on run,turn key on,hit start button,once it starts bring idle down slowly with choke.
                Take care,Tom Brennan
                Are we trying to start a barbecue ?? Put a hose on the petcock and drain the tank on prime into a old gas can for proper disposal.. DO not use a filter unless the tank is very rusty... If you do ? make sure it will work on gravity feed fuel system-- think lawnmower
                Then go thru and clean the carbs and replace the float valve O rings

Comment

Working...
                X