Wet plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wet plugs

The spark plugs on the 3 and 4 cylinders are black and wet with fuel (smells like fuel).

what I've done so far this year,

cleaned carbs and replaced o-rings (12hr dip, clean small bits with wire, blow out with compressed air.) Checked intake o-rings, they were good to go

Both plugs have spark, but I'm not sure if the spark is strong enough. How do I tell what's strong enough?

WTF is causing this?

Electrical?
    Carb related?

I was trying to do the highest rpm method on the bike, but adjusting the fuel screws made no difference. on any of the carbs. The bike idles fine, but 1 and 2 were rich, 3 and 4 were soaked.

Where do I start?

Check the compression.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi,

Black and wet? Doesn't that sound like oil fouling? Possibly leaking valve seals? Like Mr. chef1366 says, find out the compression numbers and go from there.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I'll check compression this weekend.

Cliff, It's not oil. It's definitly fuel. The plug is black like it's rich, but wet with fuel.

Comment

wet with gas or oil?

get new plugs. it is a cheap good habit to get into and not a waste of money. when bringing a bike back into a "good" general state of tune - during or after carb work or charging system stuff it is very difficult to achieve the tepmeratures it takes tfor the plug to self clean and get to a color that can be read.

1. float needles / no fuel jets in body of carb are my second guess
          2. loose plug wires and or bad resistor caps next
          3. well just short of oil dumping into the cylinder from head or rings that covers all possibilities I can think of.
          SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Good advise about getting new plugs.

Did you set your float levels correctly? Any signs of fuel leaking past the petcock? Fuel smell in the oil?
            The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
            GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
            GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
            GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
            http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Check and make sure you have 12 volts at the coils !! Have you adjusted the valves ?

Comment

Well.. after a small hiatus from working on the bike (We had an addition to the family in the form of a miniture adult) I found the problem and boy do I feel like a moron.

The pilot jets on carbs 3 and 4 were not screwed in. They were just kinda sliding around. I haven't started the bike yet... so we'll see....

Comment

Working...
                X