Air Screw Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Screw Question

Hey all. Hope you're all coming out of hibernation nicely!

Me- well, it's slow going. We had a 75* day (after a cold winter), that got everyone on 2 wheels out on the road, in turn prompting me to start the rehab- hey, working in a cold garage is my idea of "not fun"...

Onto the question for the experts:

Where are my air screws? (Terminology according to John Bloemer's walkthrough)

Ok, I think I know where they reside. I've read something recently about drilling out the hole bigger to get to them, but would a dremeled slot in the plug work (assuming it's threaded)?

So, my next question: is the plug threaded or pressed in?

I've dipped 2/4 carbs now, so i'm sure those o-rings in there ain't doing too good. However, I have the replacements chomping at the bit to get in there.

I've included a picture of the suspected location...

If this isn't the proper place to discuss this "mod", please feel free to PM or email at scottranney@gmail.com

Thank you and safe riding.

scott

Yeah, that's the spot. The plug is pressed in, not very tight. Sometimes if you can make the drill bit stick in the hole, it will spin right out. Other times you need to thread a screw or something in and pull or pry. Be careful not to go through with the bit, it's easy to hit the screw inside.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Not to sound dense but: Did you remove all the other non-metal bits (besides the idle screw o-ring obviously) before you dipped the carbs? Those two idle screw o-rings may have turned into goop, and you'll probably want to re-dip the carbs...

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. nuthuts650GLX,

It seems your new around these parts. Let me welcome you to the forum.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

TKent:
          Ok- thanks for the confirmation.
          I'm guessing just toss the plug after? doesn't seem to be doing much other than not allowing me access to the screw head.

Mike:
          Yeah- everything else was removed before taking a dip. Robert's O-rings came in on Monday. Re-dip? I guess we'll just have to see the carnage before assessing that. My first inclination is to clean it well with carb cleaner. I suppose "do it right the first time" (which i've already screwed up ) is a motto that i try to live by, and this should be no exception.

BC:
          Thanks for my very own and special greeting.... even if it's #2
          I can't fault you though... I've been hibernating since at least September.

Now that's it's getting warm, I should be on here more (for clarification/questioning purposes) as I rebuild the 650.

I've been scouring everything I can find on this site and linked sites and feel I've got a fairly good grasp on where to find what i need as I move along in the process. Understanding it all...ha! that's a different story (ie. carb tuning, stator replacing, etc...) my head's still spinning

cheers

Comment

Working...
          X