replacing fuse box in 1980 GS550L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing fuse box in 1980 GS550L

I read in another thread that you can replace the older glass fuses boxes with a spade fuse box from a newer GS model.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Has anyone ever done this on the 1980 GS550L?
    Last edited by goggles; 04-06-2010, 10:38 PM. Reason: add thread link
    1980 GS550L

You'll need the plug from the harness because the glass fuse block has wires but the spade fuse block has a plug.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

how about space issues

Ok, on needing the proper connector.

Can anybody give me the size of the GS spade fuse block?
      1980 GS550L

Comment

Hi,

I know Mr. Steve did a good job upgrading his fuse box and other electrical bits. Send him an email or PM and see if he'll chime into this thread.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

PM sent. Thanks for the suggestion!
          1980 GS550L

Comment

Well, I can't rightfully take credit for something I did not do.

When I got "Freebie", one of the previous owners had already replaced the fuse box. It was a 6-place panel with separate in and out for each fuse. It was very nicely replicated in the stock wiring, though. The wire for the main fuse went from the battery, through the fuse to the regulator/ignition switch junction. The wire that came back from the ignition switch was spliced a couple of times to go to three fuses, which were then connected to their normal circuits. The fifth fuse had power going to it, but the load side was never connected. Crudely done, but at least it was wired correctly.

It was wired upside-down, the LIGHTS fuse was at the bottom and the AUX fuse at the top. If you look carefully in all the glare, you can see the wire powering the AUX fuse on the left, and a bare output terminal on the right.

Depending on whether you are wanting to add some extra circuits, there are other alternatives, but they will cost more money.

One option is Fuzeblocks. Six separate circuits, by moving the position of the fuse, you can choose whether that circuit is conected to always hot or switched hot supply. Not cheap at $80.

I thought I had another one bookmarked, but can't find it right now.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Nice that the fuses are protected, but all the connections are open to corrosion.

Short term, I'd be REALLY concerned with the exposed copper - that's going to corrode rapidly.

Comment

Originally posted by wisgolfer59 View Post
                Nice that the fuses are protected, but all the connections are open to corrosion.

Short term, I'd be REALLY concerned with the exposed copper - that's going to corrode rapidly.

[ATTACH]9645[/ATTACH]
                Once the spade terminal is in place just solder it to the fuseblock terminal, to stop it being pulled off and cover with some shrink sleeving.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                  Once the spade terminal is in place just solder it to the fuseblock terminal, to stop it being pulled off and cover with some shrink sleeving.
                  Good idea Andre. I will note that tip for when I am doing my new fusebox.

Still doing cam timing, slotted sprockets, etc. It all takes time.

Comment

i did something very similar to what is on Steve's bike but i used the OEM spade fuse box from an '83 model. I don't remember which one. I did not use a plug although i did shrink wrap the connectors.
                    1979 GS850G
                    2004 SV650N track bike
                    2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                    LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by wisgolfer59 View Post

[ATTACH]9645[/ATTACH]
                      Good point, but it is no longer my bike to worry about it.

Freebie was sold on April 3.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                      X