Weekend of GS Part I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekend of GS Part I

Over the holiday weekend my wife and I traveled to Western NY to visit my family, and so I could help my brother Tim troubleshoot his hard-starting 550 TX. I was also bringing a fender for an 850 GL that my cousin is buying. That's another thread.

Now then, this 550 has the reputation of being hard to start, especially when the engine is warm, and it takes forever to warm up and run on all cylinders. It has about 12000 miles on it, and an Electrosport stator and regulator less than 500 ago. We knew that in 12000 miles, it had probably never had the valves adjusted, so we planned to do that at least.

Before taking it apart, we decided to check voltages at the coils, see how hard it really was to start, etc. Well, it cranked awfully slowly, and had no chance to start. We pretty quickly determined that the battery wouldn't take a charge. So, we grabbed a good, charged battery out of one of the two 850's in the garage and tried again. It started pretty easily, but seemed to be running on only two cylinders. The left exhaust was blowing smoke. I'm told it always did that until it warmed up. All 4 plugs were getting a fair spark. It wouldn't charge the battery at any rpm we could get it to reach. I don't think we saw anything over 13V, even after moving the r/r ground from the airbox (!!!) to the negative terminal post.

Well, we thought about this for a few minutes. I told him about the stator papers, and we decided that we need a good battery and a decently running engine before starting that. We needed to check the valves anyhow.

So, we started into the cam cover. About four of the screws were impossibly soft rust piles. They literally left a pile of rust when the cover came off. Half of those broke off flush to the head, under the frame. Two that didn't break were blue. Blue as in drawn temper blue. This reminded him that he had once let the bike overheat while warming up. He walked away and forgot it for about half an hour. Oops.

Our dad advised him to put a for sale sign on it as is. I gave him my best guess what it would take to pull the head and get the broken screws out. Tim decided that he wants to get this bike into good running shape, so the decision was made to pull the head. There was just no other way those broken screws were coming out. Notably, the broken or blue screws were all along the exhaust side of the head.

We checked the valves before proceeding. All the intake valves were still within spec, but low. We got a .0015" feeler under #2 and #4 exhaust, but had to swap shims on #1 and #3 to get a measurement. #1 had negative clearance.

After Tim showed me how to get the carbs past that insane airbox, I pulled the cam chain tensioner, and we removed the cams. Cam cap bolts come loose in a scary fashion, especially after breaking 4 cam cover bolts. We labeled some ziplock bags and started removing shims and buckets. All 4 exhaust shim buckets had the brown color of cooked-on oil varnish. Sorry, I didn't get a good picture of that. About half of the exhaust screws broke, but this head was coming off for thread repair already. That makes things simpler.

The 10 head nuts that are not chromed acorn nuts were very scary-looking rusty things, including the ends of the studs. We had been soaking these with WD-40 while we worked on everything else, and they came off without breaking anything. Big sigh of relief. The 550 head overhangs the cylinders very nicely. We had no trouble knocking the head loose from the cylinders. Not a bad afternoon's work. Here's what we saw:

#1 piston.

Any of the other 3 pistons.

Everyone can identify the chambers, right? Hint: They're in order.

The base gasket was stuck tight as if the cylinders were welded on. I couldn't convince Tim or my dad at the time that we should pry the cylinders up.

Here, finally, are the questions. What all should be inspected for heat damage? We're already planning to change the valve guide seals, so we'll check the valve springs. I'm thinking now that we should pull the cylinders so we can inspect the pistons and rings for heat damage. Any other thoughts are welcome.

After checking the valve clearances and seeing it run, I think I can say that the valves do not fully account for hard starting and long warm-up. The local dealer "did" the carbs before any of our family knew anything about working on an old bike. If I remember the story correctly, it ran worse afterwards. I'm thinking now that the carbs have a few circuits clogged, especially the idle circuits, and the floats are probably set to the wrong step. Time for a dip and new o-rings, yes? Any other diagnoses are welcome.

Put all that back together and we can start on the stator papers. What are the odds on the airbox ground cooking that new stator?
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

For one it has bad valve stem seals.
    I'd pop off the cylinder as long as your this far into it.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

For two, likely all your valve measurements are now bunk. You cant take accurate measurements on a warm motor. Has to be stone cold. C'mon now Dale, we taught you better than this! If the head bolts were blued, Id be pretty worried that head might be trash..

Comment

Nah, it was barely warm to the touch when we finished running it. And we broke for a trip to Pizza Hut. It was cold when we opened it.

In what way are you thinking the head might be trashed? Warped? Cooked valves? It'll be a month before I can get up there to help him tear the head down. And bring back a kitten. Plenty of time to think about it.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
          Nah, it was barely warm to the touch when we finished running it. And we broke for a trip to Pizza Hut. It was cold when we opened it.

In what way are you thinking the head might be trashed? Warped? Cooked valves? It'll be a month before I can get up there to help him tear the head down. And bring back a kitten. Plenty of time to think about it.
          Well, Its obviously burning oil on at least 3 and 4, and its hard to tell through the oil but the valves in number four look a little oddly coloured. wont know till you disassemble it and clean it up. But he did say he overheated it..

Comment

Any idea if it had good compression?
            Did it burn oil?
            Any damage visible in the bores?

I agree in this case pulling the cylinders to check would be good since you are almost there.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hi,

Great thread Dale! It looks like fun. Yes, I would go ahead and shoot the works. Rings, hone, head job, valve seals, make the whole top end new. Then you wont have to worry about it for 100K miles.

Please keep us informed. I know I'll have to do this some day. You are adding to my knowledge base.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
              X