wire demons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wire demons?

having a battle, my headlight circuit is not operating like it should, i have traced the o/r hot wire from the fuse box up to the light switch, its hot at the switch but no power to the light, and this affects the gauge lights as well, but if i jump from a alternate power source, the light comes on, high and low, so i know the ground is good, the big molex connector under the tank is where things get weird, i have power on the o/r there but its not holding good w/ load?, the o/r seems to be good w/ continuity, from switch to fuse box, but wont work my lights, im trippin?, very confused w/ this one, help!

wire demons

heres a thought, does the headlight and gauge lights only work while the bike is running?

Comment

No, they come on with the key switch.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Again... what year and model? can't follow if we don't have the same road map.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

wire demons?

im sorry, 79 gs 1000, and like i said, everything checks out, i havent ohmed the wires, because i have 11 vdc, @ the switch, all o/r wire continuitys to the fuse, i get 11vdc at the molex, and when i jump alternate source to switch, the lights work, could there be enough of a connection to show 11vdc, but not enough to hold current?

Comment

yes .

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If it's anything like the '78 and '79 I have, take a look at the connectors in the bundles under the seat and start replacing all the dark and burnt looking connectors before even starting to try troubleshooting electrical. My '78 had 5 or 6 burnt connectors. Initially I cut them out of the circuit and temporarily wire nutted them together for testing before final replacement. That and a replacement fuse block cured all problems. Work your way through the entire wiring harness. A visual inspection of those areas will solve a lot of problems. My '79 was virtually new, 3,800 miles when it was stored. It had a burned connector under the seat, so it was a real common issue and weak point of the electrical system.
              '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

wire demons

thats about the best advice ive heard, thanks, ya there was about three discolored connectors in the rubber boot, im thinking to contact cleaner the molex connector under the tank, its a little greasy looking, and the bitch is getting power w/ the meter, but wont hold any load, its kinda the signs of a weak connection, its a79 w/ 12,000 mi.

Comment

Working...
                X