Dyna III&coil mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna III&coil mod

HI, im switching my Dyna S, to a dyna III.On my 1981GS550TX. I have a coil relay mod allready done.MY ? is do I need dyna coils & should I remove relay mod to coils. thank's. SAN

You might check with Dynatek on whether or not you need their coils (of course they're going to TRY to sell them to you) but its been my understanding that their ignition systems work with both the STOCK GS coils, as well as other aftermarket coils. On the relay mod, one thing to keep in mind is that if your battery, for whatever reason, gets low enough, it may not have enough juice to open the relay at all, which wouldnt even allow you to bumpstart the bike ( I had this problem on one of my bikes. I used a heavy duty, sealed automotive grade relay, because some people complained about the cheaper ones buring out.) Perhaps an A/B switch may be a good idea, so you can bypass the relay if you so choose...

Comment

If it worked with the Dyna S It should be just fine with the Dyna III

Comment

Dyna III

Thank you KID&Lynn1. Moocho Appreciadoo! san

Comment

Dynatek is the world leader in high performance electronic products for motorcycles. Best-in-class ignition solutions, fuel tuners, coil kits and more. Shop Online!

Here is the install manual for the Dyna III; it seems to be a straight replacement for the stock ignitor. So with a coil relay mod powering all three (igniter, 14 coil, 2-3 coil) from the output of the relay would be appropriate.

The compatibility of coils with the Dyna III is a different matter however, the manual says right in the first paragraph it is designed for at least 3 ohms resistance.

This has to do with how much current the Dyna can sink (total current running through the coils) without getting hot. If the coils are lower resistance then there is more current flowing and the device needs a larger heat sink and current carrying capacity (i.e. more $$$).

Comment

DynaIII

Thank you Playr, Your Expertice is well Known.

Comment

I've run stock coils on my GS1000 for a few years with the Dyna III with no trouble. I did update to the Dyna 3 ohm coils this winter. Haven't tried it yet, as matter of fact I hope it starts.
              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

dyna III

Thank you sandy. I too, will be getting dyna coils. just not now SAN

Comment

Working...
                X