Ignitor Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignitor Problems

I almost have my machine up and running and I've run into spark issues. Plugs 2 and 3 aren't generating any spark. I've test the coils and wires with good plugs and they all work using wiring for 1 and 4. The signal generator tested out OK so I took out the ignitor to bench test.

Using a 12VDC wall wart power supply, some connectors, aligator clips etc. and a volt meter, I performed a test to check the operation of the ignitor. I applied possitive voltage to the O/W lead and negative voltage to the B/W lead. This should power the IC. Attaching my volt meter positive lead to +12VDC, I should be ablt to hook signal generator lead blue or green to -12DC and meter B/Y and W respectively to see the 12VDC circuit complete. Is this correct? What's happening instead is that when I hook the blue lead I end up with voltage on both B/Y and W, and when i swap to the green lead I get basically nothing.

I think I lost a transistor in the IC, or am I testing this incorrectly?
    I would really like to not spend a bunch of bucks on an aftermarket, I don't want to take a chance on an Ebay replacement. Has anyone built one from Radio Shack parts before? I'd do it tonight if I could find a parts list and schematic.

Thanks.

If you follow the link through BassCliff's site to Mr. Matchless's file list, there's a PDF there which discusses troubleshooting and repair of ignitor units. Never done it, have no feedback. YMMV.

Dyna S is ~$130.

Comment

According to the service manual here is the Suzuki test method

Here is how to test your ignitor

Remove each spark plug of #3 and #4 cylinders, fit it
      to the plug caps and place it on the cylinder head.

Remove the frame cover on the right side and disconnect the lead
      wire from the signal generator.

Connect + lead of voltmeter (set on ohms) with blue lead
      wire on the ignitor side and - lead on the voltmeter with the green
      lead wire.
      The moment the test pins are connected the spark plug of #4 sparks
      and the moment the tester pins are disconnected the spark plug of
      #3 cylinder sparks.

For a parts list look at this thread

The guy that posted the list is a real nutjob so who know if it will work.

He had a picture of it on here, look here:

Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2010, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Where's teddux and his homemade ignitor?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          Where's teddux and his homemade ignitor?
          He already replied. Can't you see his post?

Comment

Can't you see his post?

Comment

I had him on my ignore list, and took him off to see what you were talking about. All I see is a picture: no schematic, board diagram, etc.

Now that I look, he's not in the member list any longer. Guess enough people got sick of him.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                Just a small joke related to the heated thread.

Comment

Just a small joke related to the heated thread.
                  Ok..guess I missed that one. Guy was a real goof ball, vast majority of his posts made no sense.

Comment

I just found another file on Mr. Matchless's site regarding other ignition modules; Bosch BIM024 and GM IM045. I just need to find some pricing on them to see if its worth while.

Comment

So I'm thinking this could be a good fix for me. Looks like less than $50 for parts. Anyone have any thoughts on reliability? I wonder if these are using semiconductors or electro-mechanicl relays. Apparently its the same units used in a 78 Camero. Were there a lot of Cameros on the side of the road in 1978?

Comment

Originally posted by apogeecustom View Post

So I'm thinking this could be a good fix for me. Looks like less than $50 for parts. Anyone have any thoughts on reliability? I wonder if these are using semiconductors or electro-mechanicl relays. Apparently its the same units used in a 78 Camero. Were there a lot of Cameros on the side of the road in 1978?
                        They usually ended up in ditches or smashed into trees.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by apogeecustom View Post

This does work, but is not mine. Lou the originator helped me fine tune it for the GS1000 which has 2 wires coming from the pickups. I have build a couple and a friend of mine rode around with one on loan for a while to prove his Igniter and had no problems. The heatsink for the Wells HEI modules is important. If you need more details around building one give me a PM anytime.
                          Keep well.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                            This does work, but is not mine. Lou the originator helped me fine tune it for the GS1000 which has 2 wires coming from the pickups. I have build a couple and a friend of mine rode around with one on loan for a while to prove his Igniter and had no problems. The heatsink for the Wells HEI modules is important. If you need more details around building one give me a PM anytime.
                            Keep well.

I literally just finish building mine. Along with the coil relay mod, I'm getting very good spark. Regarding the heat sink, I mounted the two modules back to back, applied the included thermal grease, grounded a wire between the two using a spade and some #8 mounting screws as posts. I then used some galvanized strapping like you would use to mount air conditioning duct, in beweet the modules and it spans the frame under the seat. I electrical taped the ends of the strapping and zip tied it two each side of the frame. So now the modules are floating in air and the strapping will hopefull transfre some heat out of the way.

Comment

Excellent - how is the bike running now?

Comment

Working...
                              X