Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What have I got to do to get tires

-- rant on

Trying to get tires for the 250 we're restoring is proving to be the biggest problem I've yet had to work through with any of the bikes I've owned so far. Sure the sizes are not in mass production now and we've tried to find alternative sizes that will work. Sadly, nothing we've tried with available sizes has worked out. Far too big mostly.

A few weeks back we gave up and ordered a pair of new OEM tires shown on the fische from Suzuki through PartShark. Of course they were a special order but Suzuki confirmed they could supply them and we should get them early April. Sure enough they arrived today.

Terrific, then reality set in...

Even though we ordered the correct part number, PartShark sent me the correct part number and the part number on the Suzuki sticker on the tire shows the correct number, who out there would believe me if I told you the rear is the wrong size?

Amier at PartShark has been great working at this and has gone the extra mile to get it figured out. They've been great, I just wish Suzuki could match them. Amier has a call in to Suzuki to find out what's going on, he's waiting on a call back from them tomorrow as Suzuki "couldn't provide any information right away". Sceptic in me thinks it was probably too close to home time for them to be bothered.

Beginning to wonder if I'll ever get tires for this machine

-- rant off

sizes are 3.00 18 front
    and 3.50 17 rear
    anyone have any ideas I'm all ears
    Last edited by Wallowgreen; 04-07-2010, 09:20 PM. Reason: spellinz
    It's smoke that make electronic components work.
    Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
    '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
    '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
    '82 GS1000SZ
    '82 GS1100GL
    '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

I can understand the need to stay with stock sizes, but is there any particular reason you went with OEM-type tires?

Most magazine testers of the day admitted that most of the tires that came on the bikes of the day were only fit to be rim protectors during shipping and should be changed for some REAL tires as soon as possible. Unless you are restoring for a Concourse-style competition, I would really consider something else.

Nobody uses those tire size designations any more, so you will probably be looking for a 90/90-18 for the front and a 100/90 or 110/90-17 for the rear. Tires Unlimited has IRC Durotour tires in those sizes for about $60 each.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Some one just had a post on here about small tires. Your best bet is probably moped tires. Dennis Kirk or Motorcycle Superstore should have something.

Here is the thread

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Nobody uses those tire size designations any more, so you will probably be looking for a 90/90-18 for the front and a 100/90 or 110/90-17 for the rear. Tires Unlimited has IRC Durotour tires in those sizes for about $60 each.

Hey Steve, yep, been there done that. Ordered a pair of exactly those tires in those sizes from Dennis Kirk, to find they physically did not fit the machine. The front was just too big to fit between the front forks and the rear had problems both sides as it hit both the torque link (which I could probably have done something about) and the chain.

Had to send those back for a refund so it only cost me about $15 shipping for the round trip.

It was after that I gave up and ordered the OEM which are actually (or supposed to be) IRC.
        '82 GS1000SZ
        '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
          Some one just had a post on here about small tires. Your best bet is probably moped tires. Dennis Kirk or Motorcycle Superstore should have something.

Here is the thread

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ighlight=moped

Thanks, I have looked into moped tires but it's the 17" rear that poses a problem. I followed a link posted by bwringer that took me to a 100/90 17 rear by shinko I think it was. That might work but after the experience with the 110/90 17 I think even that might be a tight fit. And it would be nice to have a pair from the same manufacturer, though not imperative.

Measuring the actual width of the 3.50 rear with my caliper, which is only a rough guestimate at best I suppose, it only measures 88mm across (3.47").
          '82 GS1000SZ
          '82 GS1100GL

Comment

The michelin gazelle comes in 2.25-17,2.50-17,2.75-17,3.00-17, 2.75-18 and 3.00-18. They should fit your bike.

Here is the link

Comment

These are sort of knobby-ish dual-sport skins, but might do the trick:

You could run the 3.00-18 rear on the front easily enough -- the tread patterns are identical, and you're not going to overstress anything with that 250.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                These are sort of knobby-ish dual-sport skins, but might do the trick:

You could run the 3.00-18 rear on the front easily enough -- the tread patterns are identical, and you're not going to overstress anything with that 250.
                Cool, much obliged Brian. Although it's a dual sport, this is the first available 3.50 17" option I've seen and it's an IRC so is as good a match for the IRC 3.00 18" front that arrived today as I can probably hope for.

If Suzuki can't provide a solution to PartShark tomorrow, I'll try one of these GP1's.

Knew I could rely on you people.
                '82 GS1000SZ
                '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Now that you have a lead on what to look for, http://tiresunlimited.com or http:/motorcyclesuperstore.com might have slightly better pricing than BikeBandit.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Update:

Amier at PartShark called me today just like he said he would. He hadn't heard anything from Suzuki so he called them to get some story about them having to call Japan to figure out what's going on. Hmm, sounds to me like they couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag, but I'm cynical.

Do you tire guru's think a dual sport will work on the back with a street tire on the front or should I go dual sport for both?

Rustybronco put me on to these earlier:

Anyone have any experience with them?
                    '82 GS1000SZ
                    '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      Now that you have a lead on what to look for, http://tiresunlimited.com or http:/motorcyclesuperstore.com might have slightly better pricing than BikeBandit.
                      Thanks mate.

The tires Suzuki supplied are freely available, I've looked at them before and could have bought them from Dennis Kirk for about half the price. PartShark are going to take them back giving me a full refund including the shipping costs. I really can't fault them, PartShark is a great company to work with.

Onwards and upwards...
                      '82 GS1000SZ
                      '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Working...
                      X