Clattering top end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clattering top end

Don't know if any of you have read any of my other posts, but now that it's running I'm getting a little more attentive to other things with my bike. As in my signature, I have an 83 gs 550e. It FINALLY runs great. I've purposly tuned her a tad rich with the plugs being slightly grey in stead of the bone white I'm uset to seeing with the race engines.

My question is this. Do these motors' top ends, (valves), usually get a bit chattery after a long ride or a nice highway ride? Mine do. I baught the adjusting tool and know for sure all of the valves are .004"-.0045". It's nice and quiet when it's cold but gets ... like I said...... chattery.

Originally posted by don View Post
    Don't know if any of you have read any of my other posts, but now that it's running I'm getting a little more attentive to other things with my bike. As in my signature, I have an 83 gs 550e. It FINALLY runs great. I've purposly tuned her a tad rich with the plugs being slightly grey in stead of the bone white I'm uset to seeing with the race engines.

My question is this. Do these motors' top ends, (valves), usually get a bit chattery after a long ride or a nice highway ride? Mine do. I baught the adjusting tool and know for sure all of the valves are .004"-.0045". It's nice and quiet when it's cold but gets ... like I said...... chattery.
    On the 16V 1100 it can be a little clackity at idle when hot but quickly disappears on any revs

Comment

A noisy valve train is a happy valve train. When they get real quiet(tight) thats when you have problems.

Comment

Thanks for the replies pos and al. Comments for both of you in response to you help. Pos, when it gets noisy, and I'm under way, the valves are almost louder than the stock pipes. It's like a swooishing noise. From what you are saying, I guess the answer to my question is yes, these motors get louder with a true heat-up. And al, being an old car engine guy, it makes sense to me that the noise is a good thing. No pushrods to poke holes in rockers and valve covers, lol.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm not gonna wory about it getting more clattery with heat.

Start it.......ride it........flog it............

Comment

It should have a sewing machine type sound. If you've got loose nuts, bolts or shims flying around in the head, thats not a good sound.

Comment

A loose cam chain can make some very loud noises, is your cam chain tensioner working correctly?

I bought a Kawasaki Concours for a song once because the guy new it needed a new engine. "That thing is toast," he says,"Just listen to it" Rattly clanky banging clackety loud POS.

So forty bucks for a tensioner and I down the road in silence.

So it's worth a look.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              A loose cam chain can make some very loud noises, is your cam chain tensioner working correctly?

I bought a Kawasaki Concours for a song once because the guy new it needed a new engine. "That thing is toast," he says,"Just listen to it" Rattly clanky banging clackety loud POS.

So forty bucks for a tensioner and I down the road in silence.

So it's worth a look.
              It sounds like more noise than normal; I would pull the valve cover adjust the valves and make sure the chain is tensioned properly.

Anything above 2K rpm there should be no noise; with stock exhaust like al says like a sewing machine.

Comment

When I first got my bike I had it apart every other month thinking something was coming apart in the head. Never was. They are designed to sound like a shaking silverware drawer.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  When I first got my bike I had it apart every other month thinking something was coming apart in the head. Never was. They are designed to sound like a shaking silverware drawer.
                  Of course on occasion your sounds worse than most

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    Of course on occasion your sounds worse than most
                    Yeah, clanging along with disco fog.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Bill..i did a search but to no avail..someone once upon a time had posted pics and a tutorial about making inserts for the ends of the cams to take up the slop..you know where we may find that??
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                        Bill..i did a search but to no avail..someone once upon a time had posted pics and a tutorial about making inserts for the ends of the cams to take up the slop..you know where we may find that??
                        Those are for the eight valve motors. I have sixteen valves with rockers.

Comment

yup both of my 750s are 8 valve..both have the clatter..it wont hurt anything as is, but someday i may just get the urge to dig into it..am makeing myself a performance and parrts vendor file in my documents and was wanting the info to squirrel away there. you know.. the materials he used and how he milled the inserts and such.
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Took the valve cover off Saturday to run the feeler through the valves. There were a couple that were loose. Readjusted all of them and took it out today, (Sunday), for a quick 50-60 mile ride that included a couple of short highway stints. All seems well with the stealth bomber.

(One of my neighbors gave my bike that name because when I go by their house, (slow, 30-40 mph), the chain is the loudest thing on the bike.)

Once again thanks to all of you for the help.

Comment

That's where that darn 9mm socket went....

Comment

Working...
                              X