Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor gas mileage/choke works poorly

Hi all,

My '82 850 GL is getting only 90 miles on a tank. Last season I could get about 140. The only changes I have made for this season are as follows:
    New K&N air filter
    Cleaned and sealed the fuel tank
    Checked the valve clearances, new gasket etc. Valves were ok, needed no adjustment.
    New spark plugs

Now the choke seems to over choke, doesn't produce the 4K revs all the way on the way it does, just kinda sputters.

Gas mileage is poor.

Plugs look good, light tan in color, #4 a touch darker.

When I put in the new filter, I fitted a cardboard gasket on top of it, (cut out the hole for the air screen) because the filter was loose enough to allow unfiltered air into the carbs.

That's all I did except I lubed the choke slider.

Also, the engine idles at about 1900 rpm now when warm. Last year it was at about 1000.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

If you lined the tank did you clean the carbs?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Did not clean carbs

No, I did not clean the carbs. I removed the tank, removed the filter, petcock, and fuel level sensor. Did the recommended cleaning, rust treatment, rinsing, then coating. Used the POR product. Waited 4 days to dry, reassembled.

Comment

If there was junk in the tank than it's also in your carbs.
        Clean them up
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

When the bike was put away, running great...still runs great..no mileage

The thing that puzzles me is that the engine was running fine when put away.
          I lined the tank because of a light rusting issue, but don't think any got into the carbs, at least it didn't all last year.

The new KN filter is probably letting in more air. So, my question is, with the cv carbs, does more air mean more fuel is used as well?

Just took it a long ride yesterday, sounded great, ran flawlessly, but still only got 34 mpg. Running several ounces of seafoam through it at the time, will continue with the seafoam for another tank or two to see it that makes a difference.

Also, what is the common wisdom about adding an in-line filter, good idea, bad idea?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by cacker View Post
            ... the engine was running fine when put away. ...
            How many times have we heard that when trying to buy a bike?

It may have been running fine, but was it put away correctly? I see you live in a state with limited winter-time riding, so there is a good chance it has not been ridden for a while. If the bike is not properly winterized, you can bet there will be some issues when you trying riding again. You seem to experiencing just that thing.

Also, what is the common wisdom about adding an in-line filter, good idea, bad idea?
            The common wisdom is that gas already goes through two filters before it gets to the carb bowl, why do you need a third?

There is the filter on the inlet of the petcock and there should also be a filter on the inlet to the float valves, so a third filter is really not necessary. However, some do feel the 'need', so if you insist on getting one, get one designed for a lawn tractor. Most automotive fuel filters are a bit restrictive, as they are designed for pressurized fuel systems. The only pressure for out bikes is provided by gravity and the fact that the gas is above the carbs. An auto-type filter can greatly reduce the flow.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve

I believe I did store the bike correctly. Added the correct amount of Stabil to the last (two )tanks I ran through it. Changed oil, filter.

As noted earlier only thing different is the tank cleaned and lined with POR system sealer, new KN air filter, and the valve clearances were checked, and NOT changed, new valve cover gasket. New spark plugs.

I am running seafoam through the next two tanks, if that doesn't help, I will look into removing and cleaning carbs. Frustrating because the bike is running well, plenty of power, sounds great. Just don't have the mileage I used to.

Chip

Comment

I see you're here in the midwest. The powers that be are raising ethanol levels here in MN and it may be the same in WI, which will contribute to poorer gas mileage. It's a possibility that is where the problem lies.

Comment

Thanks Dan, could be the gasoline to some extent, I agree. What kind of mileage do you get on your bike. You and I have basically the same ride, except I am envious of the fairing on yours, and the nice trunks.

Comment

Right now, I'm messing with my carbs after rebuilding them this year (new o-rings and the works) and I've been holding in the low to mid-30s. At one time I was getting in the 40+ range with judicious throttle use, but I've yet to do my valve shims. I've had too many other things happening lately to spend the time required for that. Hopefully I can get to it in the next couple of weeks, then my mileage should improve considerably.
                    I know when I'm cranking it and playing with the red line the gas mileage goes down the tubes.

On edit: I also have the K&N filter, it's been on the bike since I bought it. Just make sure you don't over oil it, or clean it more often than necessary. K&N says every 30k, mine's just about due again. doble check that filter and make sure it's not over oiled, it sounds like that could be your problem, I had the same thing happen when I over oiled mine.
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-14-2010, 08:48 AM. Reason: addition of info

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. cacker,

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

The procedures in the "mega-welcome" are proven to get you to GS bliss. Sometimes there just are no shortcuts.

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The thing that puzzles me is that the engine was running fine when put away.

The new KN filter is probably letting in more air. So, my question is, with the cv carbs, does more air mean more fuel is used as well?

Just took it a long ride yesterday, sounded great, ran flawlessly, but still only got 34 mpg. Running several ounces of seafoam through it at the time, will continue with the seafoam for another tank or two to see it that makes a difference.

Thanks.
                        Clean all the oil out of your K & N filter, then lightly mist it. Your mileage will get better and the bike won't run as rich (that's what's happening, by the way). I just got done cleaning my K & N which I hadn't done for over 2 years. It was over oiled from blowby collecting in the filter, my bike is running real well now, no dead spots and feels real good again. Just a slight over oiling of the filter will cause those problems, especially if you have a tight air box.

I wouldn't add an in line filter either.
                        Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the tip on overoiling the air filter. If I had to guess, I would say that I did over oil. Will clean it and reinstall with just a light misting of oil.

I will keep you posted on if that works.

Next up, finding out what is loose in the front shocks and clunking around.

Comment

Put on as little oil as you can and watch the oil spread thru the pleat. You can always add more oil if it doesn't get complete coverage.

Then take a test ride out to Roche A Cri and see how it runs
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Big T thanks for the tip. And I just may take that ride.

Comment

Working...
                              X