• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trouble!!! electrical pics needed

hi.........I'm new here

shocker no?
    i recently bought a new to me 1982 gs1100L
    i really like this bike even though i have yet to hear it run.

when i bought this bike i was made aware that it had electrical problems....come to find out rats found it and i had to install a new harness...well newer.
    however i have a couple of plugs missing from the component side and in the head light bay.

so my question is does anyone have pictures of the head light bay wiring all connected. i have the diagram but truct me i have need of a picture or some such thing. i found a black w/ white tracer that went nowhere but im sure it needs to go somewhere. the problem is i cant find a wire that is cut that it would have been connected to.

i can post pics if that helps but im really looking for the resident pro to point me in the right direction.

im not a wiring pro but i have done a few jeep harness converions and so forth so im not ignorant(completely)

any help is appreciated.
    thanks

Black/white wire is usually a ground wire and if it has a male bullet plug, it is seeking a female bullet socket connected to the harness side. The flashers and headlight are grounded to a quad female bullet connector on a black/white wire inside headlamp housing.

I suggest you take one component at a time and get it working, then you will find it less daunting, but you most likely will have to use the wiring diagram to guide you. Most of the wires will plug into the same colour wire. Keep the fuses out and start with main fuse and signal fuse only and try and get your brake light working, then the flashers, horn, then you start with lights and so on.
    If you have questions, try to post a picture and we will try and guide you.

Tip: Blow up the wiring diagram and colour the wires. The connectors are also shown on the diagram.

Comment

Also keep in mind that there were usually a couple of extra wires in there.

Many of the bikes that did not come with front running lights had an extra brown wire (to power the lights) and a black/white wire (to ground them).

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

first reply

i started with the ignition circuit first so i appreciate the advice this logic seems sound.

i was just annoyed to find a black and white wire cut and twisted on the ground once i had dissasembled the harness meaning it wasnt connected to anything and i wanted to know what it went to.

i like the idea of coloring in the diagram that seems very helpful. in tracing the ignition circuit i have been having fun tracing the circuit from place to place because my continuity tester is spazing out and some times it reads ans sometimes it doesnt. my backup unit doesnt beep so its a real pain.
        well thanks for the info to date. its much appreciated. before i get too far i want to hear it run. that should provide me with a wealth of motivation to finish it

Comment

update

well been working on the ignition circuit and found that the start button was not making contact due to corrosion so i sanded the contact and its workin good now. I also found that the clutch .......thingy that stops it from starting till the clutch is pulled isnt functioning properly. anyone have any ideas for that one? i bypassed it for now but i want it intact because i have nieces and nephews at the house ocassionaly.

also the starter relay isnt working so im gonna play with that tonight see if its the selenoid or just the contacters. better to play with it than just spend the 20- bucks i dont have.
          well thats where im at right now.

heres a pic for all you guys (its not this color anymore its now primer gray as it is being painted shortly.
          Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2010, 09:47 PM. Reason: bad spelling

Comment

success

engine is cranking!!

relay was fine it was a bad groung. a little sand paper and some time and what do you know it cranks. first circuit done now on to the next one

i am really enjoying working on this bike. so far it hasnt been overly complex.

ill post up some better pics this weekend.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. centeno711,

Nice work. I was going to suggest checking the ground connection on the solenoid. Really, I was.

Actually I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum. Here's how I do it....

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
              X