Which bolts to hold slotted sprockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which bolts to hold slotted sprockets

I am about to slot my 650 cam sprockets. Are the standard sprocket bolts ok to hold the slotted sprockets in place considering they were originally designed to only go through a hole in the sprocket and hold it to the camshaft.

Don't want the timing to slip on me.

Do I need different bolts and if so what type and washers, etc.

Advice please and as always thanks in advance.

Hi Don,

I cut & paste this from one of my old posts " A better cam sprocket bolt". Rapidray asked about the strength of the bolts. I found the these screws are rated @ Rockwell Hardness Minimum C39 & Minimum Tensile Strength of 176,900 psi. I don't know what Mr. Suzuki's are rated at? They are the ones installed.

Steve

For those of you who's GS set up includes slotted cam sprockets I would suggest next time you have your valve cover removed you may want to consider replacing the Suzuki Cap Screws (On the newspaper) with McMaster Carr P/N 92235A238 Flange Head Alloy Socket Cap Screw, $ 4.62 for a quantity of 10.

I slotted my cam sprockets with a rat tail file back when and the results were not perfectly symmetrical. The McMaster Carr flange head screws increase the surface area contacting the cam sprocket which translates into less chance of slipping. The downside is the length of the screw is 16mm and needs to be trimmed flush. The Dremel H/D cutting wheel made quick work of it though.

1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
    Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Thanks Steve,

The bolts that I have are OK. They are 7mm thread with 10mm hex flange heads on them. They have a number "12" on the head as well. I guess that means really hard. The cam cap bolts have a "9" on them and they are hard, so the sprocket bolts are even harder. Mind you these cams are out of an '82 model GS so have later gear.

Do you know a trick for holding the cam, sprocket, while I tighten the sprocket bolts to the correct torque. Didn't really want to do it with a spanner on the crank nut and put pressure on the cam chain.

Any suggestions.

BTW I have degreed my cams in at 104 and 106. Have to do a final check though tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
      X