Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woo-Hoo!! (and a serious question about backfire)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woo-Hoo!! (and a serious question about backfire)

OK... it's been since 1984 - the last time I rode a 1982 Suzuki GS850G - and the last one wasn't mine... last night I started mine up and it runs!

I bypassed the pre-muffler, carbs are cleaned (by the shop off of which I bought the bike so I'm not sure how well), cleaned the air filter and replaced the seals, there are no leaks of air or exhaust, the valves are adjusted, new coils, plugs, and wires.

My FIRST "running" question has to do with back-fire when the throttle comes off from high revs; for example when I accelerate "hard" in second gear up to, say 6500 RPM (and she's got a NICE snarl up there), and then come off the gas suddenly, on the deceleration the motor will "pop" and "back-fire" a few times on the way down to lower rpms... it sounds cool... but is this normal?

**** I just found this thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...light=backfire (should have looked more closely). Asked and answered!

Here are some pics of yesterday's work on the coil and exhaust and the final product taken just after my first ride:

Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2010, 06:29 AM.

PUUUUUUUURDY looking bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
      PUUUUUUUURDY looking bike.
      Thanks! I'm REALLY pleased with it! I picked it up sight unseen (except for a low res pic on AutoTrader) from Bradford Ontario and had it shipped down. The bike itself was around 1500 with rebuilt brakes, new back tire, new battery, and the valves adjusted.

When it got here I decided that it needed more work before I would get on it. I was in love with it the moment I saw it. I'm obsessed now that I've gone for a ride.

Comment

Hi,

Congratulations! Well done. It warms my heart to see another GS850G back on the road.

Let us know if your backfire fixes work. Thanks!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I am having back fire issues as well, but my 850 is now a 1100 with 850 jetted carbs of an 850...new wire harnes...coils....so on...still pops and runs like duke on high rpm.

Comment

Working...
          X