1980 gs 850 l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs 850 l

Can anyone tell me why the aftermarket wire harness has less wires than my bike does? It's a nightmare. Also, how does the coil-wires suppose to connect to the spark plugs? Left coil to 1-3 Right coil to 2-4?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2010, 04:10 PM. Reason: HELP

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Flatnut,

First off, let me welcome you to the forum.

Next, the left coil should fire plugs #1 and #4. The right coil connects to #2 and #3.

I didn't know you could buy a whole wiring harness for an 850. Is it a "generic" wiring harness? Can you provide any more information on it? I think you're just going to have to make do with what you have, if you can't repair the original stock harness. There is a color wiring chart for the 850 on my website. Maybe it will help.

You'll find lots of GS850G lovin' on my website. Please stop by and help yourself to a heaping helping of 850 goodness.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thank you! I have a dilema...my bike is an 850 with a 1982 1100 motor in it. The carb is an 850 but it was rejetted....does this mean my wireing needs to be modified as well? Or can I hook it up the same as the 850?
      meaning the coils 1-4 and 2-3 and so on? Does it matter which wire goes where from the left or from the right? Meaning, any of the wires from the left coil can go to 1 or 4? There isn't any markings on these new coils.
      It back fires a lot at high RPM...there isn't any air leaks...has modified pipe.
      The harness seem to be the exact one. I ordered it from dealer. It is discontinued but after markets are available.

Comment

Hi,

Even though you have an 1100 motor in an 850 frame, the wiring should be very similar, but perhaps not exact. About the only differences I can think of would be some of the little things like instrument cluster connections, "safety" switches like for the clutch and kickstand, stuff like that.

Yes, the coils are still Left=#1+#4 and Right=#2+#3.

If I remember correctly, the 850 uses BS32SS carbs and the 1100 uses BS34SS carbs. What carbs are you using?

BassCliff

Comment

Hello again.
          Im using the original GS 850 L carbs, not sure which...I had some guy buy a jet kit and work on the carb. Also baught those indv air filters vs the box. Bike runs better with correct coil set up, still back fires when hot or really high rpm, it runs better than before he worked on it, but still not the 1100 cc performance.slow to get up to speed...almost like a 400...

Comment

Hi,

As I consider your scenario, I'm thinking that your bike is probably running lean, possibly very lean. This is not good for your motor. Pull the spark plugs and tell us what color they are. Post a picture if you can. What jet kit did you have installed?

BassCliff

Comment

Not sure what kit he got...I will pull the plugs and post it...thank you for your help.

Comment

Hello

Okay

Plug #1 is fine, # 2 is wet, #3 and 4 is dark covered with black carbon.

Comment

Working...
                X