Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy Oil leak

Hello,

I have a 1984 Suzuki GS550 ES. I have a leak from the left oil cooler line. I bought a new line and it still leaked. Then I bought a new cooler and its still leaking. I have no idea why its still leaking even though its all new parts. Im so frustrated because I cant take these parts back! Does anyone know why it could still be leaking or has anyone had this same problem? There arent any parts missing. Ive checked everything. Any help would be great because I havent been able to ride the bike since last spring.

Hi,

Don't the oil coolers use special washers, the ones with rubber on the inside diameter of the metal? Are you using those?

CLICK HERE and see the thread about Dowty Seals washers.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2010, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Still confused

This is for the top where the line meets the cooler. Thats where Im leaking. New lines and cooler but leaking persists. Cant figure it out. Lines screw directly onto cooler. No Oring or plug for it.

Comment

put some teflon tape or some knid of sealant on the thread before ya screw them into the cooler..need to seal the threads better.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          put some teflon tape or some knid of sealant on the thread before ya screw them into the cooler..need to seal the threads better.
          Not sure what kind of fittings are in use, but it's seldom the threads that do the sealing.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I was thinking that also after i wrote it.. Probably has that rolled end that compresses against the bottom of the hole in the cooler.. May need to redo the ends of the pipes. My buddy has the tools and he did my propane lines going into my camper.. can only compress them so many times then they will leak. I suspect the same on the cooler lines as well.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Tried all I know

I tried putting the plumbers tape on it but it still didnt work. The line is supposed to seal when screwed on but its not working. Im going to try to remake the top of the line. Hopefully, that works. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Comment

Picture

Post a picture of those lines unmount it will be easyer to help you if we can see what kind of fitting it is.

Comment

Technology is great!

Ive fixed the oil cooler line leak. Each part that I bought ended up having hairline cracks in them. I brought all of the products back and got another cooler and digirayed it before I put it on. Now no leaks. The human eye wouldve never been able to see the crack on the cooler. Thank goodness there are tools and advanced machines! Thanks for all of your help.

Comment

Working...
                  X