Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hard shift from first to second in the morning.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard shift from first to second in the morning.

This may be "just a GS thing", but wanted to check. It could be me, but it seems to be a challenge to shift into second gear in the morning. I have only been riding a motorcycle for 4 days now, but each morning, I really have to "futz" with the shifter to get it into second gear the first time. Third is a little tight the first time, but not has much as second. Once I go through the gears a few times, it just starts sliding in nice and comfortable. I let it warm up for 2-3 minutes after starting it while I put my gear on. Temps this morning were mid 50's F so I wouldn't think that would be it.

I have an 82 GS750T and it's my first motorcycle. Just curious if I have a problem or not with the new bike. It could also be me...

Thank you.

Exactly the same problem with my '79 GS550 .. it's probably an easy fix, but I haven't worried about it in almost a year of riding it ..

Comment

I would say it is a clutch adjustment or an oil issue. How long since the oil was changed and is it the correct grade? If you don't know then I would warm the motor thoroughly then empty out the contents and fill it back up using the correct oil grade. Then I would do the clutch adjustment by the book. There are three adjustment points on these 550 clutches, so do it right.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Joel750T,

I concur with Don. Check/change your oil and adjust your cable first. You'll find some 550 clutch information on my website in the "Clutch Odd and Ends" section. Let me welcome you to the forum....

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Not sure when the oil was last changed actually. I have a jug of YamaLube 10W-40, a HiFlo filter and a helpful step by step oil change guide sitting next to the bike for a change this weekend. I will update after that.

Thanks for the oil change tutorial by the way BassCliff. I found that nugget last week.

Thanks all for the help.
          Last edited by Guest; 04-09-2010, 09:00 AM.

Comment

When I obtained my bike shifting was harder when cold and just didn't feel right. As soon as I went to 15w40 Rotella shifting became much smoother.

Comment

Thanks, I am a little confused on the oil topic honestly. Seems like 1/2 the threads talk about problems going away going with the factory recommended 10w40 motorcycle oil. Seems like the other half swears by the 15w40 diesel oil.

I wouldn't mind seeing a poll actually. Technical data is one thing , but satisfied customers all with the same basic engine/trans setup isn't something to ignore.
              Last edited by Guest; 04-09-2010, 10:16 AM.

Comment

I use Rotella in every bike, it's good stuff. Rotella seems to work well in all types of bikes, it has similar ingredients to motorcycle oils without the high price, it is much better than car oils in a bike. The thing is the clutch can't have some chemicals or it will slip, and the gears chew up oil quickly. Bikes with motor oil in the gearbox are much harder on oil than cars, it just doesn't last as long. Some bikes shift better with thicker oils, others shift better with thinner, there's no way to know. I use Rotella in every bike, it's good stuff.Mostly they shift better with freshly changed oil.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hi,

Oh no! Don't turn this into an oil thread!

Yes, I like using diesel engine oil too, usually Rotella. But I've also used the Valvoline and Pennzoil diesel engine oils (all 15w40). It's good stuff. It has more zinc and other lubricants/additives that are taken out of auto oils because of the catalytic converters and EPA rules.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

My old girl can get a bit like that . For us , it's a hint to adjust the chain . She gives me a few reminders like that if I get a bit slack (you get to know each other over the years).
                    Like everyone said , oil's the go . And your chain . Easy to do and should be done regularly anyway .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

I am having a hard time shifting.I was going to try more of a flat soled boot.With a heel on my boots my left foot was straining to lift the shifter.I just did the Rotella 15 40w oil change.I will look at clutch adjustment.I am new to motorcycling again after 20 plus year hiatus.Can you address the preferred type of boot?

Comment

Working...
                      X