Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Tire Removal

Do you have to remove the pipes to get the axle out..?? GS1000E

just the muffler on the side OPPOSITE the side with the castle nut on it. Remove the cotter opin. loosen the castle nut and push the axle back till you can remove the nut and washer.. proceed to pull the axle out as normal and the wheel will come off. when you reinsatll just put the axle back thru all the stuff till,it sticks out a little so you can start the nut back on. tighten the nut and it will draw the axle back in, Do your chain tensioning proceedures and tighten everything down.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

this is how i do both my bikes..one has stock exhaust and one has a 4 into 1
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks I thought I might have to remove the one side, just needed to make sure...

Comment

Hi,

On my bike I just use my hi-tech tire lift mechanism to get the axle above the exhaust. First, take the shocks off, or at least from the upper mounts.

Is it different for the chain drives?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

very much different for the chainers Cliff..dont need to move the tire off the final drive just let it fall to the ground and remove the chain from the sprocket teeth and it just rolls out from under the fender.
            Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-08-2010, 09:45 PM.

Comment

No you do not have to touch the mufflers to remove the rear wheel. The procedure is to remove the chain guard, take the r. caliper off and support, move the torque arm a little, remove the cotter pin from the axle, loosen the axle nut, unscrew the adjustment bolts for the chain and rotate the adjusters down 90 degrees, unbolt the adjuster blocks and remove then, move the wheel forward and remove the chain, now the wheel will come off the swing arm and out the rear. A board under the tire will make it easier to reinstall. It's just remove and replace. You leave the axle assembled until the wheel is off. Don't forget to torque the fasteners. Once you've done it it's not so bad.
              1980 GS1000E

Comment

thats true as well just never saw anyone do it that way or had thought of that!! Glad he posted the thread.. i just learned a new trick from you...thanks.. i see the genius in it and the easier way it will provide!!!

Comment

WOW great idea, I was looking at it last night and did not want to take the muffler off. Thanks again guys. Getting ready to do front and rear rottor change and brakes this will help.

Comment

I remove the rear shocks bottom mount bolt, move the shock out of the way and lift much like Basscliffs photo.

Comment

I generally take one end of each shock loose instead of disturbing the exhaust.

This is one aspect of Suzuki's design that I despise. They could have run the exhausts maybe 12mm higher and axle clearance wouldn't be a problem at all. I have no idea why they didn't do this.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I'm in the process of taking my tire off to inspect the final drive - I'm completely lost! Is there a link to the procedure for a shaft drive?

Comment

Nicely you have tried to follow the instruction.I worked.awesome pics.You got success in this.Good to see it.

Comment

Rear wheel

On my '80 GS1100E, the rear wheel can removed in about 5 minutes. The rear wheel pulls out of the back with the axle intact. Putting it on the center stand is probably the hardest part...(at least by myself!)
                            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by legaleli View Post
                              I'm in the process of taking my tire off to inspect the final drive - I'm completely lost! Is there a link to the procedure for a shaft drive?
                              Hi,

You'll find lots of Gs shafty lovin' on my website. Click the link below.

Doesn't anybody actually read their "mega-welcome"? <sigh>

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                              X