Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring harness clean-up / refurb - help needed

Hi, everyone.

I've spent the last two nights scouting around the new & old forums, and BassCliff's site to find instructions with photos of how to remove, clean, replace connectors (including exactly which connectors to buy, what sizes, how many, how to do the shrink wap, soldering, crimping, etc etc), and generally improve the electrical flow of my moto. I have a now-not-running 1982 GS650 GL that is not moving (I THINK) because of corrosion and crappy connections. At least, that's where I'd like to start.

Articles from the old forum collected in BassCliff's "electrical odds and ends" comes the closest, with great directions, but being a complete newbie to wiring, I have no clue about the hardware involved, or "how to do it". I'm a firm believer in "a picture is worth a thousand words", too, and find I understand things a lot better when there are photos involved. Any visuals anyone can point me toward would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. bigredhorse,

If you check the stator and r/r unit replacement guides on my site you'll see me using a crimper to install spade connectors. Different connectors require different crimpers. The actual hardware is up to you. I tend to replace bullet connectors with spade connectors. The molex connectors (having 3-8 connectors in one plastic housing) can be replaced with similar items, they do not have to be exact matches. Just whatever works for you. The current doesn't really care what connectors it flows through as long as they are tight and clean.

Even though you've been to my site, I'm going to give you the "mega-welcome" anyway, just because I like you....

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hi, BassCliff, and thanks for the welcome!

Actually, that's Miss Bigredhorse, but you'd have no way of knowing that.

Also, I have been a member here a couple times before, but each time the forums get migrated to a new home, my name gets dumped. I guess you could call me an old-new member.

I'll check out the photos on your site. Thanks again!
      Last edited by Guest; 04-09-2010, 02:15 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

Do you have a manual?
        You'll have to beat the boys back with a stick. We don't have too many miss/mrs. around here.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by bigredhorse View Post
          Actually, that's Miss Bigredhorse, but you'd have no way of knowing that.
          Welcome back Miss bigredhorse. Pardon my misnomer. It's not very often a lady will join this bunch of hairy-legged, grease-stained, dirty-fingernailed curmudgeons.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X