Camshaft end seal oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camshaft end seal oil leak

Not quite sure if the camshaft end seals are the culprit but its pretty suspicious. Could also be the valve cover gasket.....

Noticed this just today after a two hour long blast down the freeway to see my brother from Alaska (who is visiting my mother):

Its also splattered along the bottom edge of the airbox. Seems like a serious leak to make it that far:

Also got some splattering onto the frame:

So the question stands: How do I replace those little compression like rings under the bolt? I have the rings, i just can't figure out how to get the old ones off. Any insight is super helpful.

Another leak that appears to be coming out of the starter somewhere....Not sure if this is just coming down off the cam chain tensioner, out of the oil lines to the head, or from the starter motor o-ring. Again, any insight is appreciated. If it is the starter motor o-ring, how do I replace it? Do I need to get the carbs off or can I bypass that super fun operation?

Here are the camshaft end seals on the left side of the engine:

Thanks again!

Oh yeah, its an 84 GSX 750SE (pop up headlight Katana - basically a GS700E in Kat clothing).
    Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2010, 10:44 PM.

Hi,

To verify the source of the leaks, the standard procedure is to thoroughly clean the affected areas, spray with powder (like foot powder), run the engine, find the wet spot. It's easy enough to replace the valve cover gasket and the half moons. I use a little gasket cement on the bottom curved part of the cam end seals because I don't want anything to stick to my Real Gasket. You can also turn those cam end seals around, inside out, and see if that helps.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

camshaft seals and vc gasket are one in the same...one piece rubber gasket.

Comment

Youd be VERY suprised to see exactly how much oil one little crack in a valve cover gasket can leak. Especially if it up in front near the cam chain tunnel. Like blowerbike told me, they sling that oil hard when you wind em up. I had a leak on my 1100ES, just a simple, small break in the gasket around one of the front two valve cover bolts. Slung oil ALL OVER the place. It was so bad I thought my cam chain tensioner was the culprit, then maybe my head gasket. Nope. Replaced the valve cover gasket and she doesnt leak a drop again.

BTW, I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER buy one of those fiberous paper valve cover gaskets (sorta like what GeorgeFix on Ebay sells) again. Yeah, it may be a few bucks cheaper, but it lasted ONE valve adjustment, and when i pulled it out this last time, it was like peanut brittle.. Rubberized for me baby.. I have SEEN the Laaaahgght..

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
          camshaft seals and vc gasket are one in the same...one piece rubber gasket.
          Thanks! I guess my ignorance is showing.

I was going by my experience on my 850. I didn't mean to cause any confusion. Thank you for clearing that up.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks.

I'll look into a new VC gasket, as it contains the half moons in all one piece.

Not quite sure how to get the seals off the bolts that plug the end of the camshafts, tho....

Maybe cut em off witha dremel and install my new ones?

Err, not the end of the camshafts but the oil passageways below the camshafts.....
            Last edited by Guest; 04-09-2010, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Yea, those are the caps for the rocker shafts/oil passages.

I was picking at those seals the other night thinking the same thing, but have not taken them off yet. Really don't want to scratch the face of the bolt/cap where the gasket seals or it may never seal again.

You had asked about "honing" in your other thread. By chance have you had the top end off this engine?

Doesn't look like it.

But, the copper washers under the acorn nuts inside the valve cover may be another leak path at the head if so. Those and the o-rings at the base gasket for the center 4 rear studs for the top end.

On the valve cover gasket, I tend to apply a real thin film of sealant to the head for half moons.

Eric

Comment

So I got brave, and since I already had some replacement compression washers, I pulled the bolts out.

Using a double ended box knife blade (think Stanley) I tapped the sharp edge down between the crushed compression washer and the head of the bolt. This created enough of a gap to wedge a screwdriver in there and get those rings/washers off.

After 4 of these (which only took about 20 minutes), I inspected the seal surface of those bolts (thankfully they looked pretty good) and replaced them with the new washers. Seems like a pretty straightforward operation, but I don't think they seal up again after being loosened/removed, so I don't plan on pulling these bolts out unless I have another set of replacements.

Have yet to ride it to see if any leakage remains, and I still need to get a new valve cover gasket. This one is probably the original and therefore 26 years old.....

Comment

Working...
                X