Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch is not good... but my spirits remain high.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch is not good... but my spirits remain high.

1982 GS850G - likely the original clutch. On hard acceleration at about 6000 rpm she slips - revs go up but speed does not go up proportionally. I thought at first I hit a slippery spot on the road but the bike didn't get "squirrelly". I repeated 2 or 3 times and got the same result.

Also, and more concerning, at 80kms after hard acceleration and high revs there is a noticeable imbalance somewhere in the drive train- I do not know where, but it is a "knocking / vibration" that goes away when power is applied, but returned when power is reduced, and I do not believe it is as noticeable if I gently bring it up to speed without using high revs - it FEELS like a clutch issue - but I am quickly learning that my lack of experience will be the end of me!

I would like to try a clutch rebuild in any event just to "do it"; I want to learn about my bike. I have another WAY LESS FUN bike I can ride (a 2008 Vulcan 900) while my good bike (my 1982 GS850) is undergoing surgery.

I would really appreciate some help. I am a new guy to motorcycle repair, but I am a fast learner.

In all likelihood your clutch springs are just tired - they get that way after a quarter century Highly recommend that you just buy new OEM springs and try that; they're quite cheap. There are some tougher springs available (EBC sells some I think), but they're a LOT harder on your left claw - ask me how I know! If you buy some of those you might want to try just replacing two or three and see how it feels. Check the tightness on the clutch hub nut. If you have a micrometer or digital calipers you can check the thickness of the clutch discs and driven plates, but they're usually OK.

That's about an hour's job. Someone else can comment on an 850, but on a 550 I could just leave it on the side stand and the oil was still well below the point of spilling out. Get a new gasket too, of course. Lightly grease the gasket before applying so it will come off cleanly if you have to open it up again soon. Also check your oil for signs of gasoline in there - that can cause clutch slipping.

I'm only addressing the clutch as I have no idea what could be going on elsewhere on the shaftie. Was 82 one of the years with the soft splines?

Comment

The shaft....

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
      In all likelihood your clutch springs are just tired - they get that way after a quarter century Highly recommend that you just buy new OEM springs and try that; they're quite cheap. There are some tougher springs available (EBC sells some I think), but they're a LOT harder on your left claw - ask me how I know! If you buy some of those you might want to try just replacing two or three and see how it feels. Check the tightness on the clutch hub nut. If you have a micrometer or digital calipers you can check the thickness of the clutch discs and driven plates, but they're usually OK.

That's about an hour's job. Someone else can comment on an 850, but on a 550 I could just leave it on the side stand and the oil was still well below the point of spilling out. Get a new gasket too, of course. Lightly grease the gasket before applying so it will come off cleanly if you have to open it up again soon. Also check your oil for signs of gasoline in there - that can cause clutch slipping.

I'm only addressing the clutch as I have no idea what could be going on elsewhere on the shaftie. Was 82 one of the years with the soft splines?
      Concerning the vibration - I was thinking it might be the shaft as well... but I do not know how to check these things... if I knew what to search I would... man oh man this is going to be a good "run up" to the motorcycle season!

I am going to order the springs now... and the gasket... and maybe a new cable too!

Comment

Yes, '82 was a "soft splined" year. '80 or earlier came with the hard splines. It is possible the slippage is in the splines in the rear drive. You'll have to pull the rear wheel to check that out (use the search feature, you'll find several threads on the spline issue), but since you've already ordered springs I'd start there. I had a little slippage at 8500 rpm, but I just readjusted my clutch and that went away, it's fine now, and my bike has 75k miles on it, and they aren't easy miles either.

Comment

My Clutch

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
          Yes, '82 was a "soft splined" year. '80 or earlier came with the hard splines. It is possible the slippage is in the splines in the rear drive. You'll have to pull the rear wheel to check that out (use the search feature, you'll find several threads on the spline issue), but since you've already ordered springs I'd start there. I had a little slippage at 8500 rpm, but I just readjusted my clutch and that went away, it's fine now, and my bike has 75k miles on it, and they aren't easy miles either.
          I actually haven't ordered yet because Bike Bandit had the springs and gasket but didn't have a clutch cable and Z1 Enterprises had the cable and gasket but no springs - I'm looking to make a large order to avoid paying too much in shipping (multiple orders) so I want to order everything from one place.

I'll look up this soft spline thing and figure out what I should be looking at before I make any orders! The knocking/vibration thing has me worried. Thanks again guys!

Comment

When you have the clutch apart take the outer basket out and check the dampening springs & rivets on the back....may have something to do with your "vibration" springs may be broken and rivets loose.

Comment

Instructions...

Originally posted by gs road racer View Post
              When you have the clutch apart take the outer basket out and check the dampening springs & rivets on the back....may have something to do with your "vibration" springs may be broken and rivets loose.
              Now... in order to do this... will I need the clutch gasket along with the cover gasket? I need an instructional... a link would be helpful... I'm looking but I can't find... I want to make sure that I have all the pieces I need to put the thing back together when I take it apart!

Comment

There's just one gasket on the clutch side - for the clutch cover. See the "clutch odds-n-ends" link on BassCliff's site for some pics & tips. Replacing the clutch cable isn't a bad idea, but it's a whole different job. Make sure it's adjusted right.

Here's a good thread on the soft splines, with nice pics:

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

Final drive questions as well...

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                  Here's a good thread on the soft splines, with nice pics:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...t=soft+splines
                  THANK YOU for the link and the advice. I think I've definitely got some kind of drive line problem - I was just out on the bike and when I get to 80KMs hour no matter what gear I get a bad noise and vibration that sounds and feels like it is coming from the left side of the bike. The sound goes away when the throttle is OFF and when the throttle is ON... but when it's "in between" - when there is no acceleration or deceleration there is a noticeable vibration and noise that is coming from the left side of the bike... it gets worse at 90 and 100kms and I lost my nerve after that... didn't want to test it any higher.

I am going to need to figure out how to take this stuff apart, inspect, replace, and clean it.

*** After reading the link you provided me it seems pretty likely I will be wanting to replace my spline with one from an earlier model!
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-09-2010, 01:53 PM. Reason: New information

Comment

Working...
                  X