Penetrating Oil Tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Penetrating Oil Tests

A friend on COG site sent me this interesting test on how effective the different penetrating oil are for removing rusted bolts and nuts. Very interesting. A simple home brew mix seems to be far better than any of the commerical stuff and as we know WD-40 sucks.

Penetrating oils
    Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts.
    Significant results! They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist, Bud Baker.
    Don't forget the April 2007 "Machinist's
    Workshop" magazine comparison test.
    They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.
    Penetrating oil ... .. Average load
    None ........... ......... . 516 pounds
    WD-40 ............ .. ..... 238 pounds
    PB Blaster ........ .... .. 214 pounds
    Liquid Wrench ... ... .. 127 pounds
    Kano Kroil ......... ..... 106 pounds
    ATF-Acetone mix... ....53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix
    of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.
    Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test.
    Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results.
    Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as
    good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

interesting..i used to use liquid wrench till people started touting how much better the PB was..HMMM
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The tests are bad, Liquid Wrench has never worked at all.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

i remember my dad and grandpa always had a can on hand as well..maybe because thats all there was at the time maybe. I recenly saw my buddy Josh ( not the cafe kid) had a can of UHAUL penetrating oil..
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          The tests are bad, Liquid Wrench has never worked at all.
          Kidding or not?

I used liquid wrench last evening on the '78's rusty fasteners. I let it soak for a few minutes and they came off surprisingly well.

I just may do a side by side comparison and see how it compares to PB.

there's sure plenty of rusty fasteners to go around on that bike.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I give this a big +1.

My Klx has a rubber chain guard that wraps around the end of the swingarm, and I needed to replace it since the chain had worn a groove completely through it. Unfortunately, in order to replace I needed to remove the swingarm, which I am pretty sure has never been removed. It is held in by a long bolt which is 15mm in diameter. This bolt goes through two set of needle bearings, and the rear of the motor. It is recessed into the frame so there is no way to effectively pull it out, and to pound it out you need to be mindful of the clutch cover case.

I started this last summer, applying liberal amounts of PB Blaster and tapping with two pound hammer--no go. Did this about once a week, figuring it would take awhile to penetrate. After a couple weeks, decided to try the once in month plan. Still no progress. I could spin bolt but figured it was just spinning races.

Had about given up and even consulted my machinist Brother in Law about bike. Then I saw this thread and mixed up some stuff. My only warning is that it looks like fruit punch in a clear plastic water bottle.

Went over to bike, squirted some into cracks between swingarm and motor. Decided that I didn't want to risk having punch I was using sliding around on end of bolt, so I grabbed cordless drill and drilled a slight depression where I could seat center punch. Grabbed my trusty 20 oz claw hammer and hit it maybe 5 or 6 times solidly and it Moved. Tapped again with hammer and it moved a half inch. Hallelujah and praise almighty, we have success. Haven't completely removed bolt since I need to disassemble shock linkage but I am thrilled.

Will be giving recipe to Brother in Law, good stuff. Thank you, Thank ou, Thank you.

Comment

So with steel structure never being 100% even how was this test considered scientific? Id be more interested to see which one left wetness on the far side of the fasteners from where the product was applied. That would prove more for penetration and IMO would be the best product.

Comment

I have had better luck with pb than anything. Plus what is to guarantee the accuracy of "scientifically rusted". I had a 1973 Ford Capri with a 2.6l v6. Exhaust studs were so rusted I broke a Craftsman socket, luckily not the stud. Sprayed it with pb every 30 minutes for a couple hours, came off like it was a new car. Hard to argue with real world results. But, every situation is different

Comment

In the real world Pb works way better thab Lq. Wrench.
                  What is scientifically rusted?

Comment

I wonder how flammable the"home brew" is. acetone is hot stuff.
                    Maybe not any more than what you get in a can.

Comment

This website is for sale! sterkel.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, sterkel.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

The author says that to read the detailed test methods, we must buy the issue on-line. The winning mixture used power steering fluid, not ATF. Parts were immersed for 8 hours for the test.

============

I don't often need penetrating oil, since I don't do much mechanical work. I have still experimented a bit, and used to make a penetrant from half motor oil and half diluted Gunk Super Concentrate. GSC is added 1:5 to kerosene or mineral spirits to make a solvent for cleaning parts. It is a bit more aggressive than most organic solvents, but it doesn't dissolve rubber and plastics the way that brake cleaner or carb cleaner can. NAPA sells the Mac product which is probably very similar. The final dilution is 10% motor oil.

I'm guessing that what matters most are the viscosity and surface tension of the mixture. Surface tension makes liquids bead up, which keeps them from entering tight spaces. If viscosity is high, they'll enter only slowly. Next time I try this, I might try ATF instead of motor oil.

My results with my home-made stuff were pretty good.
                      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I didn't see it mentioned but I use Deep Creep made by the same company that makes seafoam. It is a lot more expensive but works better for me than all the others listed and it does not stink. A home brew sounds interesting too....
                        David
                        1998 Suzuki Bandit
                        1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
                        1978 GS1000 - gone
                        1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

My dad taught me a little trick about this once, haha. We use different pen. lubes for different situations, an aerosol can is just so handy in the pickup. We do on occasion have to break loose a seized engine as we do some mechanic work for ourselves, around the farm, and sometimes for other people, or else buy something that's seized cheap and get it running. When I did my first motorcycle engine (A 77 YZ80) that was seized up, I tried WD40 for a week, didn't do much, spraying the cyl full, putting the spark plug in and letting it soak. No movement. He then taught me about the magic of diesel and ATF, haha. Much better, much quicker. I use it sometimes on stubborn fasteners if I have a can mixed up somewhere.

Comment

Kroil works well but it sure isn't cheap... Having an aerosol is definitelyvthe way to go for ease of application but I imagine home brew in a squeeze bottle cold work similarly well with a small enough jet....
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

If you use the acetone mix be careful with your paint and plastics.

Comment

Working...
                              X