chain question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chain question

It looks like I am in need of a new chain for my 82 gs 750T.as it is all the way back and still too much slack. it appears that i need a 630-96 and I seen this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

My question is twofold
    1. is anyone familiar with this brand
    2. could this be a reliable chain? this price makes me a little nervous.

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. guitarjedi,

I'm sorry I don't know a lot about chains because I drive a shaft. I know that the X-ring chains are supposed to be about the best. Change your chain and both sprockets as a set so that they wear evenly together. Old sprockets will make a new chain wear out very quickly. I just stopped by to cordially welcome you to the forum.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Get a good o-ring chain unless you plan on getting another one real soon.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Never heard of that brand.

It will work though....

With chains the old saying, "you get what you pay for," is pretty much the truth.

I would agree on finding a good o-ring chain, Tsubaki, DID, RK, or the known Japanese brands.

Better wear performance, and less adjustment intervals.

Also, best to replace both sprockets to fit the new chain as well.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-09-2010, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Reliable is moving point, to be sure. I prefer to get 20k - 30k out of my chain. So I purchase a quality chain/sprocket set, for $130 and up. But if all you want is 2-3k, that should be fine.
          And if you want to replace them all, it is a good time to consider a 530 conversion set, which gives you a lot more options in chain selections.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
            Reliable is moving point, to be sure. I prefer to get 20k - 30k out of my chain. So I purchase a quality chain/sprocket set, for $130 and up. But if all you want is 2-3k, that should be fine.
            And if you want to replace them all, it is a good time to consider a 530 conversion set, which gives you a lot more options in chain selections.

When I converted to a 530 on my 1100E, it cost roughly the same for the whole conversion as it would have cost for a 630 chain alone. Parts availability for the 530 is muuuuuuch greater as well.

Comment

Z1 Enterprises has a nice RK brand 630 O-ring chain for $112.09, as well as the chain rings.
              Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Of course, if you choose to swap to the 530 set-up they are the folks for all that as well.

Comment

well I appreciate all the input. Now the big question,do I have to pull the swingarm to get the old chain off? its my understanding its an endless loop chain (no master link)

Comment

Originally posted by guitarjedi View Post
                  well I appreciate all the input. Now the big question,do I have to pull the swingarm to get the old chain off? its my understanding its an endless loop chain (no master link)
                  You're not going to reuse it, so feel free to cut it off. There are chainbreaker tools available as well. The only thing I had available was an angle grinder, and that worked.

Comment

I guess for the price I will be doing a 530 conversion. I appreciate all the help. Thanx all...I want to keep riding for a while and not have the chain chunk on me ( its making alot of noise) Peace!!!!

Comment

would anyone know what the stock sprocket sizes are on this 82 gs750t?
                      I dont really want to tear it apart till I can get new sprockets and chain but I am not sure of the teeth count on these stock sprockets.

Comment

Pretty sure 15/42
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                        X