Repairing intake pipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repairing intake pipes?

Has anybody had any luck repairing the intake pipes? The ones on my 81 GS550L are coming apart where the rubber meets the aluminum. One of them is really bad. I was just curious if there was any type of glue that I might be able to use to glue them back together. I'm guessing that there probably isn't, but it never hurts to ask. I could be wrong.

Thanks, Bill

Some people have, don't remember what they used

Simpler just to get new ones

Balance the cost of new ones against the hours you'll spend messing with them, then wondering why your bike doesn't run so good.

Be nice to your bike, It's old and needs some love
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Hi,

Yes, I agree. Bite the bullet, save up your coin, and get new intake boots and O-rings, maybe even airbox boots too. Then you won't have to worry about them for at least another 20 or so. Shop around for the best prices.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

YES! That's exactly what had gone through my head as well. I've never been a fan of Jerry-rigging things. I've never heard of anybody repairing these things, but ya never know if someone might stumble onto something that works good enough to consider. So far I've been seeing them going for around $22.49 - $25.00 a piece. I have been thinking of using some neoprene caulk/sealant I have as a temporary fix just to see if this bike is worth sticking more money into.

Thanks for the replies, Bill

Comment

Many have tried, all have failed. You're also risking horrible damage to your exhaust valves.

Get an old acoustic guitar -- the more worn and battered the better -- and find a street corner with a good amount of pedestrian traffic in a liberal neighborhood. Learn a few three chord folk songs and prop the case open in front of you. You should have enough for your new intake boots in a day or so. Singing skill is optional.

Caulk won't work at all either. Here's what I posted on my web page on the topic:
          "Obtain new intake boots if there are ANY cracks or separations in yours. Cracked or separated intake boots CANNOT be repaired with RTV silicone, chewing gum, JB weld, epoxy, Elmer's glue, or spitballs. They last about 20 years, so every GS needs or will shortly need new intake boots. If yours are bad, cough up the money and order new ones so you can forget about them and ride happily for the next 20 years. Sadly, there are no shortcuts or repairs -- they must be replaced if they are bad."
          Last edited by bwringer; 04-10-2010, 09:23 AM.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

LOL! How about some MIGHTY PUTTY? After all it's the "super powered epoxy that does it all!" NOT!

I think in the day when organ grinders were popular, people would get tired of hearing the same thing all day, and then would pay them to stop playing or go somewhere else. I think that's the only way I could make money on the streets. I'm not cute enough to pimp myself out either.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-10-2010, 09:59 AM.

Comment

I used Permatex Ultra Black. I know that it won't hold for a long time. I have already ordered a replacement, but I NEEDED to get out on the road. In my defense, I did clean both sides really well with simple green and a toothbrush. It was rinsed well and set aside for day to dry.

I put a nice bead around the collar and saw a nice little squeeze out on both sides of the opening. After wiping it off, it cured for a day. Then I trimmed off the squeeze out from the inside. I tried to pull off the rubber part, but that sucker wouldn't budge.

I know that I am weak and should have just waited. It was so pretty and warm and wonderful that I broke. I am not a strong man...

Comment

Working...
              X