Great ride near Denver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great ride near Denver

This is a great ride around Mt Evans...check out this guy's website for the route and some pictures of his awesome GS stable!

Enjoy!

It's updated!

Found this a year or 2 ago. Haven't done it on the bike yet but did do a family car trip last fall. It was great! Would recommend it!

Comment

I'm in Castle Rock...get the bike out and let me know when you come by...the snow should be gone by June?

Comment

Yes, this is a great ride. A couple of years ago a group of us (I think there were 9 bikes) made that circuit and had lunch in Idaho Springs on our return to the Denver area. Along the way we experienced all four seasons of weather, but we all had a great time. Hope I will be able to do it again some time. Ray
        "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
        GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
        1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
        1979 GS1000SN The new hope
        1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

It's a pretty cool ride, great if you only have a couple hours. The Mt. Evans road is open all night, so we did the dawn patrol thing on it last Spring, got up early enough to be on top of the mountain at the crack of dawn to enjoy the sunrise. By that Summit lake area there are heaves from the permafrost, two foot high waves in the road every which way. Water from Summit Lake flows over the heaves and freezes, it's on there thick, making it very difficult to pick a line that doesn't put any side load in the tires. Very slippery stuff, smooth ice, intense riding at one mph or so.
          Above the lake it's steep, with narrow switchbacks, and there was ice all over the place where snow melted across the road in the daytime, good fun.
          My wife was all plugged in with her electric stuff on, I had my warmest riding gear, I was pretty cold, she was fine. Got to the top, turned the key off, it was right around 0 degrees F, and pretty windy. She's unpowered off the bike something like three seconds, "I'm cold, lets go!"
          So we got to enjoy the sunrise on the way back down.
          Last edited by tkent02; 04-10-2010, 10:34 AM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
          X