Need Help with my 85 GS550ESF Twin Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help with my 85 GS550ESF Twin Carbs

I thought I started to develop a petcock problem as the bike was intermittently starting to run out of fuel. After rebuilding the petcock and testing satisfactorly proving fuel flow to the carbs I am stuck with a CARB PROBLEM now!

I've been trying to get onto BikeCliff's website and check the manual for this but I've been unsuccessful for a while now......

Can someone help me with where to start short of removing my carbs and tearing down?

I'm thinking of blowing compressed air through the fuel line into the carbs to see if it blows something loose.....

What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado85gs550 View Post
      I'm thinking of blowing compressed air through the fuel line into the carbs to see if it blows something loose.....

What do you think?
      Id pull em and check your float levels.. same as all the rest, just a lil odd cause they use that siamese set up. But internally, they're just like all the rest.

I rebuilt a set for another members sons bike and I was a little off put at first cause they are so odd, but once you crack em open, if you have ever done another set, you'll be right at home. I am not sure if Robert Bar has an Oring kit, BUT, if the bike is running well otherwise, it might just need the floats adjusted, or sometimes they get stuck.. You could try rapping on the float bowls with a light hammer...

Comment

so how would the floats get stuck in the "close" position while it was running under a load?

Comment

so how would the floats get stuck in the "close" position while it was running under a load?
          Dunno dude, just tossing out suggestions.. You sure its jetted right and its not just falling on its face?

Comment

Brother, this thing is raped to the max right now with a Dynojet Stage 3 kit and the PODs........

It was running outstanding for months, then all of a sudden one day dies while cruising at 30mph!

I let it sit for a day and it fired right up........since then it runs when it wants to and won't when it doesn't

the past week I've rebuilt the petcock thinking it was the problem but I'm getting good flow from it........If I spray fuel into the carbs it will start up and run till it burns it out!

It's a fuel issue at the carb........

I'm thinking yet another carb tear down!

Comment

Brother, this thing is raped to the max right now with a Dynojet Stage 3 kit and the PODs........

It was running outstanding for months, then all of a sudden one day dies while cruising at 30mph!

I let it sit for a day and it fired right up........since then it runs when it wants to and won't when it doesn't

the past week I've rebuilt the petcock thinking it was the problem but I'm getting good flow from it........If I spray fuel into the carbs it will start up and run till it burns it out!

It's a fuel issue at the carb........

I'm thinking yet another carb tear down!
              You sure its not a spark thing? Not exactly common, but overheating coils will shut down, or cut out or however you want to put it. Griffin found one on his 700ES after having a seemingly phantom issue... Rode it around his place untill it got good and hot, then it happened, he stopped the bike and yanked the tank and checked and the coil was dead. After it cooled off it was fine.. At least I think thats how he told me...

You also could have possibly picked up some crap out of the bottom of the tank..

Comment

I'm positive it's not the coils......it will run if I spray fuel into the carbs! Plus I paid a pretty penny for these coils! Green and all

Comment

I'm positive it's not the coils......it will run if I spray fuel into the carbs! Plus I paid a pretty penny for these coils! Green and all
                  So then you have tested the petcock im assuming, making sure its flowing in ALL positions as it should. Just for chits and giggles, did you try running the bike down the road on the prime positon to see if it did it??

Comment

Yep.......Pri gives great fuel flow, Run goes great while hitting the start button, and so does Res!

I left it in Pri and it won't start.........no fuel is getting into the carb OR through the carb

Comment

Yep.......Pri gives great fuel flow, Run goes great while hitting the start button, and so does Res!

I left it in Pri and it won't start.........no fuel is getting into the carb OR through the carb
                      Cap vent clogged?

Comment

which is why I was trying to get onto BikeCliff's site to look at a diagram of the fuel flow through these carbs.........no go

Comment

I'm assuming you mean the fuel cap? I've tried with it both on and off, still won't start........

Comment

which is why I was trying to get onto BikeCliff's site to look at a diagram of the fuel flow through these carbs.........no go
                            The work just the same bro. Just use that doubled up slide with two needles IIRC.

Comment

I'm going to fire up the air compressor in the morning and lightly blow some air through the fuel line to the carbs and see if something comes loose....

Comment

Working...
                              X