Fuel Treatment to clean valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Treatment to clean valves

Has anybody ever used stuff like this in a bike to try and clean the crud off your valves, like the can says it will?
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Not me.

Have you looked at your valves to see if they are crudded up? You can't really see much by pulling the spark plug.

In my opinion (which could easily be wrong ), the only place that a build-up of crud would affect operation is on the seating surface of the valve and head. I just can't picture how a fuel additive is going to keep anything out of there.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I clean my valves with a drill and wire wheel.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        I clean my valves with a drill and wire wheel.
        ...WHILE RIDING.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i'm trying to clean my values on a kawasaki without dismantling the valves from the head. I have the head off right now. I've tried a little seafoam then B-12 but haven't really scrubed yet. Made very little of a difference on the exposed valve surface. Worked better on/around the combustion chambers. I know the best way to clean is a tear down but i do not plan on doing this, yet. Very cheap bike and trying to keep it that way.

I have 2 heads to work from. On one head the valves are not that bad but on/near the mating surface with the valve cover gasket in one chamber the surface is gouged up. All other chambers look descent.

The exhaust ports/valve shafts look better on one head compared to the original head although they are not great.

The original head that came off the bike the valves are pretty carboned up.

I'm trying to figure out which head to use.

I'm getting a camera either tonight or tomorrow and will post pictures asap of both head valves.
          1979 GS850G
          2004 SV650N track bike
          2005 TT-R125 pit bike
          LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by tas850g View Post
            i'm trying to clean my values on a kawasaki without dismantling the valves from the head. I have the head off right now. I've tried a little seafoam then B-12 but haven't really scrubed yet. Made very little of a difference on the exposed valve surface. Worked better on/around the combustion chambers. I know the best way to clean is a tear down but i do not plan on doing this, yet. Very cheap bike and trying to keep it that way.

I have 2 heads to work from. On one head the valves are not that bad but on/near the mating surface with the valve cover gasket in one chamber the surface is gouged up. All other chambers look descent.

The exhaust ports/valve shafts look better on one head compared to the original head although they are not great.

The original head that came off the bike the valves are pretty carboned up.

I'm trying to figure out which head to use.

I'm getting a camera either tonight or tomorrow and will post pictures asap of both head valves.
            The surface of the valves doesn't really matter. It's the ring that sits on the seats that does.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
            X