Carb Gang Plate Screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Gang Plate Screws

So I am in the process of rebuilding the carbs and they dis-assembled well to the point of removing the gang plates. I used an impact screw driver but that just seems to want to strip them instead of breaking it loose. Any suggestions on re-moving them.

Also since some of them are messed up where can you buy replacements?

When taking mine apart I had to use a hack on some of them. Just saw so that you can use a very large flathead screwdriver on it, and that did the trick for me.

I am not sure on this, but there's a good chance that you can buy replacements on z1enterprizes.com

Comment

Dremmel a notch in the head and use a flat head as stated in the above post.
      Using the right fitting phillip driver end helps.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

once you got them removed, they are standard M6 countersunk screws. you can buy replacements from any fastener shop. either phillips head or go for allen screws. stainless screws if you prefer but make sure you use some good copper grease
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Tight

Mine were horribly tight on the last couple of set of carbs I bought. Rather than strip them, I used vice grips. If you get a good, hard, solid bite, it really does very little damage to the screw and they'll turn out easily. After that, they'll go in and out with a screwdriver really easily.

I figured if the screws got 'screwed up', I'd replace them but they look just fine.
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

what bike is it? my 1000 carbs have c/sunk screws so impossible to get a vice grip on them. maybe some confusion here
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

The bike is a 79 GS550. I have the carbs off and can get to all screws. I was planning on replacing them anyways so I don't care if I have to modify them.

Comment

Rather than strip them, I used vice grips.
                Thats what I use on especially stubborn screws. PB blaster and a torch also helps.

Comment

Vice-grips

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                  Thats what I use on especially stubborn screws. PB blaster and a torch also helps.
                  Yeah, the secret is to get a really good bite on your first try. If you screw around, you'll really screw up the screw!
                  1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
                    Yeah, the secret is to get a really good bite on your first try. If you screw around, you'll really screw up the screw!
                    how can you get a vice grip on a countersunk screw?
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

On my BS32's, the screws that hold the carbs to the gang plate are not countersunk.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                        On my BS32's, the screws that hold the carbs to the gang plate are not countersunk.
                        ok sorry mate. not familiar with bs32's sorry bud
                        1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                        X