Rejetting Mystery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rejetting Mystery?

Hello and thanks in advance for your advice!
    I just put in pods and rejetted. I got it to a point where it was running great, if let it rip in first or second gear my front wheel jerks up into the air which is awsome.
    I took it out for a drive and after an hour i started to notice the performance was dropping. Mid throttle range would kind of hesitate and then surge. I also hear some subtle soft type of popping/thumping from the exhaust.
    Low throttle is un-effected.
    I remember reading that a rich setting will get worse when the engine gets warm, so i figured i was just a bit too rich. I tried it again the next morning to see if when it was cold it would run better, but it was the same. Next, i de-shimmed the needle back to stock to see if leaning it up would help, it didnt.

What could have happened?What could have changed during riding? It was running so good!

btw,
    when i rejetted u went up on the main and pilot, and shimmed the needle

Originally posted by djg42 View Post
    Hello and thanks in advance for your advice!
    I just put in pods and rejetted. I got it to a point where it was running great, if let it rip in first or second gear my front wheel jerks up into the air which is awsome.
    I took it out for a drive and after an hour i started to notice the performance was dropping. Mid throttle range would kind of hesitate and then surge. I also hear some subtle soft type of popping/thumping from the exhaust.
    Low throttle is un-effected.
    I remember reading that a rich setting will get worse when the engine gets warm, so i figured i was just a bit too rich. I tried it again the next morning to see if when it was cold it would run better, but it was the same. Next, i de-shimmed the needle back to stock to see if leaning it up would help, it didnt.

What could have happened?What could have changed during riding? It was running so good!

btw,
    when i rejetted u went up on the main and pilot, and shimmed the needle
    Honestly you're wasting your time.. You cant shim the needle enough to make it work. Its to slow of a tapper. You need to get a Dynojet kit if you want it to run right.

Comment

Try it again with fresh plugs. You may of fouled them.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

thanks guys!
        Cafekid-the funny thing is it was actually running pritty good-and then an after an hour of riding it suddenly wasnt, and dyno doesnt make a kit for my bike

Thanks chef, i checked the plugs and they look good-im gonna pick up a fresh pair anyways.
        im not sure what happened here
        Last edited by Guest; 04-10-2010, 07:16 PM.

Comment

I had this same issue today. My bike was not running properly, with a big lack of power and lots of popping. Checked my plugs to see that they were fouled. I put in new plugs today and it ran really strong for about 45 minutes, and then it started doing the same thing again. And low and behold, the plugs are fouled again, so I figure one of my carb circuits is running too rich, which is fouling the plugs and causing bad performance. Time for some different jets!

Comment

***sigh***

Comment

Put the smaller pilots back in and see what happens. Leave the mains alone if it runs well wide open.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Tried fresh spark plugs, smaller main, and then a smaller pilot and none of them seemed to help
                Tried putting the choke up to see if there would be any improvement and there wasnt

Comment

the tank wasn't venting, as the gas got low it got worse
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-17-2010, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X