Ignorance is bliss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignorance is bliss

Question. I haves just acquired a 1983 GS400E, not running.

I have cleaned the carbs, but am unable to get them to prime. I just wanted to fire up the engine using a small reservoir of fuel feeding the main fuel hose.

I need to clean and seal the tank as its rusty. So have no tank to use.

I suspect that I must have the tank connected with the hose to the fuel level float connected as well as the fuel delivery hose. Does the GS400 require the vacuum hose connected to open the carb diaphragm and or prime the float bowls?

There are also 2 breather hoses, one on each carb. Where are these supposed to connect to?

If you want to use a fuel reservoir (aux tank) hook the fuel line from the tank to the carbs. The small line from the carbs (the one that would go to the vacuum connection on the petcock) should be plugged or clamped off. Once you put fuel in the tank it will fill up the float bowls. The other hoses are probably vent hoses and should be draped over the airbox. I find it helpful to spray a little carb cleaner into the airbox if the engine has been sitting or is otherwise hard to start. Try to avoid starter fluid if you can help it.

Comment

Thks question answered, appreciated.
      d

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. dennie,

Welcome to the forum!

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
        X