Stator cover bolt lengths?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator cover bolt lengths?

I rewired my stator, and pulled the forks to replace the seals this weekend. However, my brain is fried now and I can't remember which length bolts go where on the stator cover. There 2 long, 5 medium, and 1 short bolts, the bike is a 1982 GS550L(Z). The service manual I have doesn't say anything, and I was hoping someone had that knowledge to pass down to me. If not, I'll just do some trial and error in the morning before the MotoGP race

ah crap!

Classic move. Should have traced the stator cover onto some cardboard, poked the bolts thru in the right places to keep track.

If memory serves, I think the shorter ones go towards the front and top, longer bottom and back...but that's based on memory from 2 years ago when I pulled mine...sorry can't be more specific.

Comment

Originally posted by jbs80106 View Post
      Classic move. Should have traced the stator cover onto some cardboard, poked the bolts thru in the right places to keep track.
      I put them in a magnetic tray sorted by length, not thinking that I'd just completely forget by the time I went to put it back together. Winding a stator is mind numbingly boring, but at least the Cubs won

Comment

trial and error works.
        I've got a 3 year old assistant that helped me with that.

Comment

here's what i go by: with the cover in place push a bolt into the hole. before starting to thread it should stick out just about 1/2". once you have them all in place and they all are at about 1/2" you should be all set to tighten them.

if some stick out farther or not enough they are either in the wrong place or you might have the wrong bolts.

whatever you do don't put one in that goes too far. i did that once and it wore a groove into my clutch.
          2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
          82 gs1100L probably the next project
          1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
          1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Aha : http://www.bikebandit.com/assets/sch...SU0094_007.gif

21 are the two long ones, 23 is the short one. Why do part sellers have better diagrams than the service manual?

Comment

Working...
            X