Fork leak with new seals??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork leak with new seals??

I noticed fluid leaking off the inside of my front fender and traced it to the right front fork. I pulled the boot off and it looks like the seal has moved up the tube, I released all the air from it as well. Wondering if too much air pressure could have caused it?

In the photo the clip and spacer ring are pressed as far is as it would go with a blunt screw driver...seems like it should be further in..

The seals are brand new here is the seal exposed without the c-clip and spacer, again dosn't appear to be down for enough, any ideas?

Alright let me simplify this...can to much air pressure in the fork cause this? I realeased it down to about 5 psi and seems to have gone away. Anyone else ever encounter this?

Comment

How much pressure did you begin with? I think 8 psi (7.8 or something, don't recall exactly) is the stock prescribed pressure....I used to run 11 psi when I had the stock springs, and zero now with Progressives.....the seals supposedly last longer without any pressure. If you do a search, someone else had the same problem as you've pictured, a few months ago, and was able to re-seat the seal.
      Tony.
      EDIT: Here... http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ak#post1176231
      Last edited by Mysuzyq; 04-11-2010, 01:33 PM.
      '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
      Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

The tag on my fork leg says max 32 psi I think. The Haynes book recommends up to about 15 psi, but does mention the max around 30 psi also.

Comment

I replaced the stock springs with a set of progressives and a 1" spacer. At that time I put about 10 psi in it when I reassembled to stiffen up the feel a little. When I checked it after noticing the leak there was 20 psi?? Today I released all the air and the problem has seemed to have gone away. Hoping I can reset the seal without tearing down the front end.

Comment

Maybe you just got a defective seal.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
              Maybe you just got a defective seal.
              Could be, gonna ride without air in the forks and see what happens...

Comment

You may have a snag somewhere that tore the seal. I had the same thing. Replaced that seal and it still leaks. BB has poor quality seals. Im going to try some from the dealer.
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                X