Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike would not start... on trip

So... had some electrical issues today.

Took a ride for about 150 miles or so, started stopped no problem. I hardly ever use the kill switch and turn the bike off with the key, well the stop I used the kill switch it would not start again after. The start button would dim the oil light but no clicking noise at all.

Here is what I found and how I got home. If I tried to hotwire the starter it would turn but not fire. When I took the switch off and hardwired the kill switch to on the button still did nothing but I could hotwire it. So I got home with the two kill switch wires connected and hotwiring that starter.

If it helps I have done the coil relay mod, would this be a sign of the relay not working? The switches might need to be replaced... thats where I will start I guess.

Bike in sig, 83 gs 650 GL

If the relay failed on the coil mod, you would not get power to your coils. Your kill switch probably failed ( corrosion or not being used). I don't have a wiring diagram for your bike but more than likely the kill switch is wired into the starter circuit. If the kill switch is off there is probably no power to the starter button.

Comment

Yea... could be I'm going to check it more tomorrow.

Comment

no start

With the relay mod, the kill switch is suposed to cut relay power.If I understood correctly. Im sure I'll be corrected. san

Comment

I need to go out and play with it, but I replaced both the kill switch and the momentary switch with new ones from radio shack like 2 years back... they needed to be "modified" to fit so might have weakened them.

I will post the info when I get it fixed.

Comment

Hi,

How is your charging system otherwise (ala The Stator Papers)? I concur with cleaning the switches and electrical connections too. Make sure your starter relay solenoid has a good ground.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
            Last edited by Guest; 04-15-2010, 08:09 PM.

Comment

I went through the full system 2 years back and did the switches so it was confusing me.

Update, it is back to working switches where still good. Issue was a loose connection on one of the wires on the coil relay mod. Tightened that up and started up with the button no problem.

Comment

The killswitch feeds power to the coils/ignitor in the ON position. If the contacts in the switch are bad (which, I found out recently, happens pretty easy) then no power will go to the coils/starter/ignitor. Jumping the solenoid will spin the starter, but still will not fire the coils. If the contacts on the switch plate in the killswitch are bad, Im not sure you can clean them up. You may have to replace the switch all together.

Comment

Both the kill switch and momentary starter button are new as of last summer so thats what was confusing me.

It was the wire coming in to the coil relay from the kill switch that was loose. For whatever reason I soldered the other wires and not that one when I did the coil relay mod, the crimped wire connection just wasnt holding tight enough.

Either way Im good to go now.

Comment

Working...
                  X