85gs550 charging problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85gs550 charging problems

so i figured out i need a new stator. does anyone know of other years of suzuki bikes/other models that the stator will work i have a junk yard near my house that is deticated to motorcycles and they dont have any 85 gs 550ef stators i dont know what other models will work do you? thanks for any help!

Originally posted by 85gs550ef View Post
    so i figured out i need a new stator. does anyone know of other years of suzuki bikes/other models that the stator will work i have a junk yard near my house that is deticated to motorcycles and they dont have any 85 gs 550ef stators i dont know what other models will work do you? thanks for any help!
    go to electrosport and cross refrerence the part number.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      go to electrosport and cross refrerence the part number.
      What he said, I did that and found a new Ricks Stator for my 85 GS700ES that was orig meant for an 83-86 GS550 new in the box at a local parts place for 79.99. Bought it off ebay from them and went and picked it up. charges great now

Comment

Or rewind yours for about $30 in parts and a solid afternoon's work. Nero put up a good thread about it, and I just successfully did mine this week, too.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. 85gs550ef,

Unfortunately, Electrosport seems to be temporarily out of stock for this item, but there are other sources. Here is their list of compatible stators:

Welcome to the forum!

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Also if you lost the stator you might want to look at replacing your regulator/rectifier as it may have fried. Was the battery getting too much voltage or not enough? Not enough points to a stator problem, too much points to an R/R issue. OEM replacement R/R units will work for a while and are good enough but I've bought and used a GSXR (99 - 2003) R/R on my 550E for a number of years now.

Also Nerobro's hand rewound stator works awesome in his bike. Just pay attention to the connection points and wrap direction.

Comment

Working...
            X