Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrosport Stator R/R

Hello All,

I just started working on my new to me 1984 GS450L.

The ground wire on the R/R connector is burned up from the ground lug, to the plug, and up into the harness under the gas tank where it splits off. It is only this one section of wire, the split off sections are fine so I will only be replacing about 10" of wire.

I want to replace the stator and R/R with the Electrosport parts but I have a couple of questions:

1: Does Electrosport provide detailed instructions?

2: I am a little confused about something I read on the Electrosport Common Electrical Issues page:

"We recommend removing the loop through the wiring harness and connect the WHITE/GREEN stator wire directly into the regulator/rectifier."

Can anyone clarify this?

I plan on checking all of the electrical connections and soldering the piece of wire that I am replacing instead of adding yet another crimped wire.

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks, Mark

Before you dump a bunch of money in your bike I strongly suggest you go though the Stator Papers and check your system properly. A poor ground at the R/R is the likely reason that wire burned up. Checking the stator is first; check AC output between the three different wire leads. If that checks out, and your R/R is properly grounded (over to the battery), then your R/R is bad and needs to be replaced. Those Electrosport R/R's are way overpriced. Look up Duaneage here or get yourself a late model Honda R/R off ebay for cheap and save a bunch of money for a superior unit.

Regarding wiring, you want to bypass the factory wiring and go straight into the R/R with your stator wires. The stock wiring was designed for bikes that don't have the headlamp on all the time and that wire that burned up on your bike is unnecessary and risky. Bypass that needless extra wire loop and go straight into the R/R.

Lastly, all this detail is in the archives so please learn to help yourself and use the search function. There are tons of threads detailing this stuff so the answer is there and just waiting on you to go look for it.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

As Ed says, do some reading.

there is a summary at the bottom of my Signature

Comment

They are really simple to hook up,

3 yellow wires from the stator connect to the 3 yellow wires from the R/R in no particular order.

Black one goes to ground and red one goes to the bikes red wire.

That loop they are talking about is used to disconnect one of the yellow wires between the stator and the R/R when you turn your headlights off. That causes the charging system to give less overall power so your not overcharging.

I know searching is a pain sometimes but It really is all here.
        LoL it was there 10 years ago when I first discovered the site :P

Good luck

Comment

Hi Mr. Fritzhund,

I have a website full of this kind of information. There are even a detailed guides for stator and r/r replacement procedures.

Replace the burned wire and properly ground your r/r unit to the negative battery terminal. Then go through The Stator Papers to properly troubleshoot your charging system before you spend money on parts. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
            They are really simple to hook up,

3 yellow wires from the stator connect to the 3 yellow wires from the R/R in no particular order.

Black one goes to ground and red one goes to the bikes red wire.

That loop they are talking about is used to disconnect one of the yellow wires between the stator and the R/R when you turn your headlights off. That causes the charging system to give less overall power so your not overcharging.

I know searching is a pain sometimes but It really is all here.
            LoL it was there 10 years ago when I first discovered the site :P

Good luck

Care of the black one is required and needs multiple connections.

Comment

Working...
            X