Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this part? Ignition Coil? Where to Get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this part? Ignition Coil? Where to Get?

Hello All,

Please excuse my utter lack of knowledge, but I was wondering what the part in the attached photograph is. My bike is having a hard time starting and there is quite a bit of noise coming out of this thing (which I know wires to the start button, so I'm guessing this is an ignition coil of some sort).

Does anyone know how to diagnose this component or what it actually is? I couldn't find it in my manual. If anyone has a tested second-hand one they'd like to unload, please shoot me a message and I'll gladly take it off your hands.

That is the solenoid relay for the starter. It allows battery voltage to flow to the starter when you hit the starter button.

Comment

That's the starter solenoid - basically a switch which is switched on and off by electricity (when you press the starter button); the starter motor swallows a lot of current and your button would melt if this wasn't there.

When hitting the button you should hear the solenoid click - this is it 'switching itself on'. To test, place a thick screwdriver across the fat terminals. If the starter turns when you do this the solenoid (or wiring to it) is suspect (assuming the starter doesn't spin when you just use the button).
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Shorting the terminals has the same effect as the button, no response from the starter. Does this mean the solenoid is shot?

Comment

Originally posted by theprotege View Post
          Shorting the terminals has the same effect as the button, no response from the starter. Does this mean the solenoid is shot?
          No...shorting the terminals bypasses the solenoid...

If the starter is not turning when you short the big leads on the solenoid you have...
          A. No juice in the battery
          B. A bad ground or connection between the batter and the starter
          C. A bad starter

Start with a meter and check the battery voltage...let us know what you get.
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Don't start buying parts yet. As suggested figure out where your problem is first. "makes a lot of noise" like a buzzy rapid clicking? How good is your battery? I might try jumpers to a NOT RUNNING car or other big battery and see what happens. If the starter works then your battery is your prime suspect. If it doesn't put the negative jumper clamp directly to somewhere on the engine and hit the starter terminal on the solinoid with the hot jumper clamp. If that cranks it move the jumper to the battery terminal on the solinoid and try the starter button. If that works move the negative jumper up to the battery negative. see how we are slowly narrowing down where the problem is? Good luck and keep posting we all live to hear what the real problem is.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice, guys! I know the battery is not the suspect as it is brand new and holds a solid 12.4V charge. The starting problem is inconsistent. The bike will often turn the starter strong at first, but if it doesn't fire on the first or second try, it sounds as though it doesn't have enough juice to keep trying. I'll be sure to perform the procedure suggested to see what's going on. It has also been suggested to me that perhaps the starter brushes might be sticking.

When pressing the button (and the starter does not turn), there is indeed a fairly loud clicking noise coming from the solenoid. I'm guessing that this means the power isn't getting to the starter? Is the starter ground the little black clip that goes on top of the starter cover, directly below the carbs? If so, I checked that one and it is tight. I also think I located all the chassis grounds (I'm not sure how many there are total) and cleaned/greased them.

Comment

Originally posted by theprotege View Post
                Thanks for all the advice, guys! I know the battery is not the suspect as it is brand new and holds a solid 12.4V charge. The starting problem is inconsistent. The bike will often turn the starter strong at first, but if it doesn't fire on the first or second try, it sounds as though it doesn't have enough juice to keep trying. I'll be sure to perform the procedure suggested to see what's going on. It has also been suggested to me that perhaps the starter brushes might be sticking.
                12.4 is actually a somewhat low level of charge, it should be 12.6 or 12.7.

Also, trying at first, and then not after one or two tries points to a bad or discharged battery. If you have a charger, completely charge the battery.

If that doesn't help, get the battery load tested at a place that sells batteries, some places will probably test it for free, in hopes that you will buy a battery there if it fails.

You could do a rough approximation of a load test by turning the headlights on but not starting the engine, while checking the battery voltage with a voltmeter.
                The voltage should not drop below 12 volts if you do this for 5 or 10 seconds.

FWIW, a "new" battery is no guarantee of anything:
                It could have been at the dealers for months before being sold...
                A bad charging system can cause a new fully charged battery to be discharged in one or two moderately long rides...
                A slight short in the harness could cause the battery to discharge ...
                etc.

Comment

Agreed -- figure out what the problem is before buying parts.

With that said, a lawn tractor solenoid works great, and costs around $12 at most home center type stores.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    Agreed -- figure out what the problem is before buying parts.

With that said, a lawn tractor solenoid works great, and costs around $12 at most home center type stores.
                    I agree.

However unless the solenoid coil is open, then that solenoid can be disassembled and cleaned

Comment

I'm kinda laying this at the foot of a starter with "issues" or a not so great battery. Sounds like the battery voltage drops so low in a short time that the coil drops the starter contacts open, then the battery voltage comes back up, closing tbe contacts, voltage drops, repeat quickly and get solenoid "chatter" Either the battery is weak or the starter is drawing excessively. Remember he claimed that shorting the terminals did not engage the starter. One of those frustrating to diagnose from a distance deals. (aren't they all?) Tell truth I don't know my GS's that well is there a possibility of gear train or starter clutch binding between the starter and the crankshaft?

Comment

Originally posted by gggGary View Post
                        I'm kinda laying this at the foot of a starter with "issues" or a not so great battery. Sounds like the battery voltage drops so low in a short time that the coil drops the starter contacts open, then the battery voltage comes back up, closing tbe contacts, voltage drops, repeat quickly and get solenoid "chatter" Either the battery is weak or the starter is drawing excessively. Remember he claimed that shorting the terminals did not engage the starter. One of those frustrating to diagnose from a distance deals. (aren't they all?) Tell truth I don't know my GS's that well is there a possibility of gear train or starter clutch binding between the starter and the crankshaft?
                        Sounds right...only other thing I can think of is a bad ground?

Check the ground between the battery and motor. Big cable that goes from the negative battery terminal to the top of the motor, (usually).
                        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Working...
                        X