Cheap tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap tires

In case you haven't seen this, front and rear for 145.75 w/ free shipping. http://www.motobuys.com./mich-pilot-gt.html

This size is for my Goldwing 1500 but thought since they are on sale so cheaply maybe they work on some Suzukis as well?

BTW can anyone recommend the best tire for peg scraping with a 1983 GS750E. I also need something that holds good in the wet cause Im not a rider that only rides sunny days, I go when ready regardless of weather.

I have used and liked Metzeler in the past but have not had a 750 E before so I don't know how they like it!

Thanks all

A1

You didn't say anything about price...are we still talking cheap tires? With a 16" front wheel your choices will be very limited...best matched set that comes to mind is IRC RS310s...if cost is no object, go ahead and graft a 17" front wheel (at the least - preferably front and rear) off a modern sportbike so you can take advantage of the new, super sticky RADIALS that are everywhere. It might even be as simple as bolting the front forks and wheel off a 600 Katana on your bike...but, I don't know who might know this sort of information, so, it might also be a "fits or doesn't fit" thing... Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks, A1.

I have been wanting to get another set of Michelins before they run out (they have been discontinued).

I just looked at the current price where I usually get my tires (Tires Unlimited) and found that their on-line prices are 138 for the front and 160 for the rear. Their in-store prices are just a little higher, so I just got them for about half price.

I might just order another set and put them away for next year. Since I have logged 27,214 miles since this time last year, I am going not quite a full year on a set of tires. My current set has 15,400 miles on it, looks like it should go well into the summer, just not sure if they will go the 23,000+ like the Dunlop E3s did.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by AspectOne View Post
        BTW can anyone recommend the best tire for peg scraping with a 1983 GS750E. I also need something that holds good in the wet cause Im not a rider that only rides sunny days, I go when ready regardless of weather.
        Avon RoadRider (AM26).

The Pirelli Sport Demons are excellent when they're new, but they don't last as long as the Avons and they develop evil habits during the last 1,000 miles.

The Avons steer quicker and lighter.

Depends partially on how much you ride that bike and partially on the feel you prefer.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Supprized!

I am building one bike up from two for my son, and came time to get tires, on a budget so against my best judgement ordered Kendas. I had put some on a friends bike back in the 70s and thought they were crap, told the kid before I ordered them, but he just didn't have the dough for top brand..

Long story short, they came and I was very supprized, very good looking tire, strong bead, nice rubber, good balance, good price... I usually stay with Contis, or Dunlop, but these have changed my mind...

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            Avon RoadRider (AM26).

The Pirelli Sport Demons are excellent when they're new, but they don't last as long as the Avons and they develop evil habits during the last 1,000 miles.

The Avons steer quicker and lighter.

Depends partially on how much you ride that bike and partially on the feel you prefer.
            +1 on the Avon AM26, best bang for the buck, best tire period for these old bikes.
            Very good in wet conditions.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I use the Dunlop GT501. Price as reasonable and they stick like crazy. While the Avons and Pirellis do perform excellently personally I think the Dunlop has slightly better dry pavement adhesion. You're probably going to get better mileage out of the Avons and I don't know about the Pirellis. The Dunlops I'm getting about 5,000 miles out of a rear and about 8,000 out of a front. Not great but I trust them totally. Buying tires is always a compromise between price and performance and just because you spend more doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a better tire for your riding style. Dunlop, Avon or Pirelli will most likely out perform anything you or I or the bike can dish out. I use the Dunlops because I know them and trust them. They are available in a 120/80x16" front too.
              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

If you're looking for a decent cheap tire, the Shinko Tourmasters are excellent tires for vintage bikes at dirt-cheap prices. You can get a set on your doorstep for just over $100.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I just got a Kenda K657 rear on my gs450. It was $50ish at Dennis Kirk. It seems to be decent quality and my bike feels so much better now. It corners and just rides better. Just giving my $0.02 on cheap tires.

Comment

If you're looking for a decent cheap tire, the Shinko Tourmasters are excellent tires for vintage bikes at dirt-cheap prices. You can get a set on your doorstep for just over $100.
                    I'm thinking about getting some of these - $119 shipped. V rated and belted casing. Good stuff. Does anyone know where Shinko's are made?
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      Does anyone know where Shinko's are made?

------------------------------
                      ABOUT US

Established in 1946, the Shinko Group began as a manufacturer of bicycle tires and tubes in Osaka, Japan that today has become a burgeoning manufacture of rubber products.

In 1998 the Shinko Group purchased the motorcycle tire technology and molds from Yokohama Rubber Co., and began production of these products under the Shinko Tire brand. With manufacturing based in South Korea and design based in Japan, the company has seamlessly combined Japanese engineering and design principles with South Korean production and quality control standards. Today Shinko Tires produces approximately 200,000 motorcycle tires per month.

In the United States Shinko Tires are imported by Western Power Sports, Inc. (WPS), with corporate headquarters in Boise, Idaho. With a strong foothold on the power sports market, and with warehouses located in Boise, Idaho; Fresno, California; and Memphis, Tennessee, Shinko Tires USA-in conjunction with WPS-is proud to bring you the Shinko line of Sportbike, Cruiser, Scooter, Off road, and Dual sport tires.

On going testing in the USA and R & D at Shinko Tire's factory means a continuous path of exciting tires to meet the need of today's riders. Shinko Tires and WPS are here to serve your needs.
                      -----------------------

If the Bridgestone Spitfires are not being manufactured any more, I think I'll try these next too.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

So are these tires up to it for those of us who push the limits of sanity and adhesion on crappy sandy gravelly roads with occasional water hazards and deer?

Or should I stick with my Road Riders? I just can't see spending that kind of cash on my free Honda which I hate anyway. It just seems right to spend as little as possible on this one.
                        But I don't want to rebust my ass either.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          So are these tires up to it for those of us who push the limits of sanity and adhesion on crappy sandy gravelly roads with occasional water hazards and deer?

Or should I stick with my Road Riders? I just can't see spending that kind of cash on my free Honda which I hate anyway. It just seems right to spend as little as possible on this one.
                          But I don't want to rebust my ass either.

1. Yes (I'm putting a set on my GK)

2. What are Road Riders?

3. Maybe check CL for used tires...might be cheaper...what sizes does your Honda take? I might have some in the garage...or might be able to find some...will be in your area Thursday...let me know...

Comment

I have been using Metzler laserteks for a few years and wanted to try a cheaper tire.

I ordered a set of these Sunday night.
                            1982 GS1000S Katana
                            1982 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                            X