back and wrenching but need help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

back and wrenching but need help please

sorry for being the worst member ever until now. I made a post last year but then was hit by a drunk driver on my buddy's Vstar and have been layed up for a bit. anyhoo not about to let it scare me I am back at working on my gs

here's the info I have. its a 78 gs750e. i got it for free so its a little worse for wear but runs. had oil coming out the cam vent tube. turns out I have a ton of gas in my oil.
    has pods from previous owner but I don't think he re jetted it.

questions are
    how do i fix the gas in oil issue. where do i find a jet kit as dynojet doesn't have one for a 78. thoughts on a general direction to go with my restoration

thanks guys for any input looking forward to having the best gs in the 801

Gas in the oil is more than likely from a failed petcock. Replace/rebuild the petcock. Drain the oil/gas mixture out and put in fresh oil and filter.

From what I have read on the forum the VM are not that hard to rejet for pods. Do a search here on the forum or PM forum members KEITH KRAUSE or TheCafeKid , either should be able to point you in the right direction for jetting advice.

Comment

Originally posted by adamzuka View Post
      sorry for being the worst member ever until now. I made a post last year but then was hit by a drunk driver on my buddy's Vstar and have been layed up for a bit. anyhoo not about to let it scare me I am back at working on my gs

here's the info I have. its a 78 gs750e. i got it for free so its a little worse for wear but runs. had oil coming out the cam vent tube. turns out I have a ton of gas in my oil.
      has pods from previous owner but I don't think he re jetted it.

questions are
      how do i fix the gas in oil issue. where do i find a jet kit as dynojet doesn't have one for a 78. thoughts on a general direction to go with my restoration

thanks guys for any input looking forward to having the best gs in the 801
      Good to hear the cagers didn't ruin another.

Do you have a 4-1 pipe on the bike? You may get away with the jets that are in there on a VM carb if you're still running the stock exhaust.

Otherwise, as mentioned, it's likely the petcock and I wouldn't bother with rebuildig it, just not worth the headache.

Glad to hear that you're back at it!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
        Good to hear the cagers didn't ruin another.

Do you have a 4-1 pipe on the bike? You may get away with the jets that are in there on a VM carb if you're still running the stock exhaust.

Otherwise, as mentioned, it's likely the petcock and I wouldn't bother with rebuildig it, just not worth the headache.

Glad to hear that you're back at it!
        It will be quite lean with stock jets and pods if they are good pods. It's true there is no jet kit available for that bike.
        Go bigger slightly on the main, one clip position richer on the needle, leave the pilot jet alone.
        Plug chops will get you to perfect.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          It will be quite lean with stock jets and pods if they are good pods. It's true there is no jet kit available for that bike.
          Go bigger slightly on the main, one clip position richer on the needle, leave the pilot jet alone.
          Plug chops will get you to perfect.
          Wasn't sure if the jets are stock or not.
          What's in it?

Comment

i have no idea what jets are in there now. where should i buy jets?
            and yes the exaust is stock.

so the dealer can get me apetcock for 97 bucks. It seems to be the concenus for my problem but can I get a better price somewhere else?

thanks for the support guys

Comment

Where are you located?
              Independant motorcycles parts houses or bike salvage yards are your best bet locally for carb parts. The better ones have "selection" boxes of new jets and parts
              you can try these guys http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/ or here http://www.carbparts.com/.

Comment

so the dealer can get me apetcock for 97 bucks. It seems to be the concenus for my problem but can I get a better price somewhere else?

Have a look here: http://www.z1enterprises.com/SearchR...yWords=petcock

The jet sizing is stamped on the mains. Leave the pilot circuit alone for right now. As tkent mentioned, they are likely fine.

Comment

AS for oil in the breather tube..the little cover on top of the cam cover has hollowed out spots in there that are supposed to have a wire mesh screen wadded up in there to stop oil from getting into the breather tube..be sure its there.
                  Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-12-2010, 11:01 PM.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Good up, Chuck. OH OH he said upchuck.

Comment

one other thing i saw...the bike has pods. Your are gonna also need to put a short 3 or 4 inch piece of tubing on that nipple with a small filter on the end to keep crap from getting back up the tube into the engine..they look like a tiny K&N filter..i am sure someone can post a pic if the little critter for you.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

petcock rebuld

You can get new ones for a lot less but you probably just need to spend $10 for a rebuild kit. check with Z1. They are not complicated...you just have a leaky little rubber seal. The rebuild kit will take care of it.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryA_Texas View Post
                          You can get new ones for a lot less but you probably just need to spend $10 for a rebuild kit. check with Z1. They are not complicated...you just have a leaky little rubber seal. The rebuild kit will take care of it.

The rebuild kits are controversial. The problem being that it's not just the o ring that wears. The sealing ali surface also wears a slight groove too.

I rebuilt mine with a K&L kit and it worked ok for a couple of weeks. I could smell gas one morning and found that the petcock was allowing fuel to seep past it. I pulled it off the tank and fitted an over sized (thicker sectioned) o ring. This allows the o ring to seat on a new area of ali and now it works fine.

If you buy a new petcock, it will last another 20 years.
                          The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                          GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                          GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                          GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

well off to the local parts supplier for a rebbuild kit. will try it out and post results later on tonight

Comment

K&L rebuild kits are around $30 For $50 you can get a universal replacement from Z1 as stated

Comment

Working...
                              X