HD versus Standard Progressive Springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HD versus Standard Progressive Springs?

This may be a forgone conclusion - since I have already ordered the rear coil-overs - however, I wanted to ask the question about the Progressive rear shocks and springs gor the ' 80 GS 1100 E any way;

The standard marketing blurbs all over the web indicates that one should select the "Heavy Duty" versions of the shocks for riders over 220 pounds or for two-up riding more than 40-50-60 percent of the time... I am 265 and 6'-3, so it would make sense, but I will likely never have anyone on the back (my girlfriend rides herself)! I just wanted to verify that this stipulation was not too "over-protectionist" - I just don't want to end up with an incorrect / heavy / too stiff a setup!?

I ordered Black/Black by the way!
    Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2010, 10:14 AM.

rear shocks for 1980 GS-1100-E

Howdy Jungle Justice, to confirm my choice of black/black Progressive Shocks, that you saw on my identical '80 GS-1100-E, I dug up my reciepts from Jan. of 2009. Progressive Suspension Part # PS1204BG 13.0" that is for the shock bodies. The spings are separate, part #DS310031 BLK with a load rating of 90/130. I am 200 lbs, and 6'2", and these feel perfect. I put them on the top (stiff) setting, and adjust the front fork dampers to "4" (stiff). The shocks cost $169.15, and the springs $69.25.
    Good Luck, and smooth rollin'. GS-ESW

Comment

Yes, you will want the heavy-duty springs, no question about it.

In fact, on my GS850G, I ended up switching to the extra-heavy-duty 120/170 springs -- they're listed under the Kawasaki Voyager.

With just me, they're perfect in the first position. Add another click for luggage, two clicks for the wife, three clicks for wife & luggage.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        Yes, you will want the heavy-duty springs, no question about it.

In fact, on my GS850G, I ended up switching to the extra-heavy-duty 120/170 springs -- they're listed under the Kawasaki Voyager.

With just me, they're perfect in the first position. Add another click for luggage, two clicks for the wife, three clicks for wife & luggage.
        Hey Bri, I just snagged a set of Progressives on Ebay (actually for a CB900F but I wanted that extra inch on em) and they came with 110/150s i think? You think that will be substantial enough for my fat arse, and roses skinny one? The MDIs i have on it now are simply BRUTAL, even with my weight. I like my bike sprung a little on the stiff side, but my kidnneys were PI$$ED..

Comment

I'm 230 and have the heavy duty springs, I would not want anything lighter.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
            I'm 230 and have the heavy duty springs, I would not want anything lighter.
            Damn i got you by 30 lbs... Guess I will purchase some HD springs when I have the cash to do so. Anyone have a spring compressor i can borrow? Cant complain too much tho, I snagged em for $35 plus shipping.. And they look damn nice

Comment

I believe the 105/150's are the heavy duty springs, if you want heavier you will need the bwringer specials.

I wonder if some F350 (1 ton) front coils spring would work for you big guys

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                I believe the 105/150's are the heavy duty springs, if you want heavier you will need the bwringer specials.

I wonder if some F350 (1 ton) front coils spring would work for you big guys
                Oh Ok, well good deal then...Thanks Al

Comment

Thanks guys; sounds like I did right by going with the HD units!

Let's get together soon Eric! Next time you feel like it, or find yourself in the area - give me a heads-up and ride out to Shoreline (I'll show you some of the other toys...)

Comment

Working...
                  X