Avon Tires & Other Choices;

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avon Tires & Other Choices;

A local dealer specified a 100/90-19 and 120/90-17 for the bike (' 80 GS 1100 E), when I was there last week; specifically - they have an Avon for $102.81 and $104.51 each (which I thought was pretty reasonable)!

They are said to be pretty sticky and a good tire - any thoughts?
    Any other experiences here with these tires?
    Are these the right sizes?

I have that front size on the bike now in a 100/90-19 Metzeler, but a 130/90-17 Metz on the rear... I saw a GS like mine this past weekend with a 140/80-17 race tire (but I think that the guy had to push the rear axle-settings bias left a bit to make sure that the tire-edge cleared the rear brake caliper-brace - a good practice?

My RZ500 is VERY sensitive to tire specifications and they recommend bias-ply for that bike exclusively! How about for the GS? What is theb best, all-around, street tire for this bike and in what size? Learning a bit here...

Originally posted by JungleJustice View Post
    A local dealer specified a 100/90-19 and 120/90-17 for the bike (' 80 GS 1100 E), when I was there last week; specifically - they have an Avon for $102.81 and $104.51 each (which I thought was pretty reasonable)!

They are said to be pretty sticky and a good tire - any thoughts?
    Any other experiences here with these tires?
    Are these the right sizes?

I have that front size on the bike now in a 100/90-19 Metzeler, but a 130/90-17 Metz on the rear... I saw a GS like mine this past weekend with a 140/80-17 race tire (but I think that the guy had to push the rear axle-settings bias left a bit to make sure that the tire-edge cleared the rear brake caliper-brace - a good practice?

My RZ500 is VERY sensitive to tire specifications and they recommend bias-ply for that bike exclusively! How about for the GS? What is theb best, all-around, street tire for this bike and in what size? Learning a bit here...
    Some Avons are great, some not so much. Which model?

Don't put on bigger tires, the handling and traction will get worse, not better.

Go with Avon Road Rider AM 26 in the proper size.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yep - these are the TR TIR AM 26 models...

What sizes should I go with then? Price seems pretty good huh?

Comment

I think it is 100/90-19 and 130/90-17 for the 1100E, they are about $180 for the pair last time I bought some online, I mount the tires myself here. If mounting is included that price is good.

Comment

Mounting and balancing is included, but I have to bring them the wheels...

Only uncertainty that remains then is on that rear size - 120/90-17, or 130/90-17?

Comment

Good deal then, not sure but I think most of us run 130s on the 1100s.

Ask some of the guys who still have them, I sold mine but it did work well with 130s on the rear.

Comment

tires on a 1980 GS-1100-E

Hello there Jungle Justice, when we met, and you were looking for info on my choice of tires for our identical bikes, I didn't do a decent job of discussing it, so here I go now; I picked an identical size to the worn out Perrelli tires that the bike came to me with. I picked a Dunlop Sportmax, model D-205. The size of: 140/80 ZR17. I paid $130.00, and didn't have to shift my rear axle allignment at all. I would return the tire if that was the case, I think you miss-understood when I pointed out that the tire was within a quarter of an inch from the rear brake "torque link". That space assumes correct allignment from adjusting the chain to equal hash-mark settings, at the back of the swing arm. I mentioned how if that really got close to rubbing, I could offset settings to not being equal, and lean the tires' edge into the recess in the chain-guard, because it's roomier than the other side. I was just kidding though. I wouldn't want to do that. I think that since your bike came with a 120 on it, you should do as others have reccommened, and put a 130 on it. I am going to do the same when my present 140 is used up.
              I did get the correct front size, because, again I just copied the previous owners choice. I picked a Metzler Lasertech, size: 100/90-19. This one cost $150.00
              I found out when shopping for my front tire, that my new rear choice was a radial, and there are NO RADIALS made for the front rim any more. I was told to NEVER ride with one radial, and one bias ply. I would get bad handling. I was advised to buy another new rear tire to match the front that I was about to choose. I would then keep my barely worn in Dunlop for a spare or something...Screw that. I ride like a person should ride on a 1980 GS-1100-E..., rather fast, everywhere. I have never noticed any handling issues. The 140/80 is the widest you can go on a stock swing-arm, in my opinion. It works great. I do plan on the 130 next though.
              Good-luck, and dry roads to you. GS-ESW

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Some Avons are great, some not so much. Which model?

Don't put on bigger tires, the handling and traction will get worse, not better.

Go with Avon Road Rider AM 26 in the proper size.
                I go with Avon VenomX up front, and AM26 Road rider in the rear...really like that combo...though I must have not been watching my pressure closely enough this last one, cause at about 4-5K that RoadRider was sawtoothing pretty bad..

Still I LOVE the Avon profile. Turn in is much smoother and quicker. I thought about trying out the Sport Demons, but with the miles i put on, Id be going through two or three a year..

Comment

Thanks for clarifying Eric! Makes more sense now... Yeah - as with the Alfas years ago - learning curve is pretty steep and I am trying to gain as much info as I can, from as many different sources as possible, in the shortest amount of time allowed!

Thank you again very-very much for your time on Saturday Eric!
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2010, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X