Heavy Clutch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heavy Clutch!

So, this bike spent most of the last 15 years in a garage, but it was more like a shed and the damp weather took a toll on hardware (some rusty chrome parts and other hardware around the motor and a frozen-solid choke-cable for example)!

I'll still get after all of that.

The clutch cable - more to the point - is HEAVY and appears to be adjusted out to the max, so it is probably a bit stretchy too! Overall the cable appears to be WAY too long though (runs and entire S across the crank-case on the way to the right-side! In addition to buying a new cable for it, I heard that the cable from a GS 1000 S is a better fit and solves that issue? Is this correct?

The S cable fits well if you have superbike bars or lower.
    Routing is everything with cables, got any kinks or sharp curves?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

clutch cable for 1980 GS-1100-E with super-bike bars.

Hello again Jungle Justice, We met buying parts at the dealership. When I asked the clerk to call up my previous purchase of a clutch cable, to help you get the same one, the dude couldn't find the record. I dug up my old reciept, from May 2009, and it was #58200-45401 and cost 16.70
      I believe this is the shorter version, and as you felt for yourself, it works like grilled-cheese.
      Good luck, and always go faster. GS-ESW
      1980 GS-1100-E

Comment

Thanks - yeah - cool! It's headed my way; I'll call (when they are open again in the morning) and verify that it is the right one!

By the way - installed the new choke cable - operates smooth like (how did you say) grilled-cheese!?

Comment

Bloody thing is still heavy like a submarine clutch! Tried various routings (but with the shorter GS1000 cable, there are only so many routings that work...

Comment

Did someone put in over sized or heavy duty clutch springs?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I was contemplating the same thought however, the PO (of 15 years) said - no - not on his guard any way...

Comment

I was goin to ask the same thing. If someone has installed HD springs or has shimmed the stock ones it will be heavy. In fact, i just recently installed some HD springs and clutch plates in my bike, and changed the clutch cable for good measure (which i lubed HEAVILY) and my first thought when i felt how heavy it is was, something is wrong. as it turns out, after checking, rechecking, and rechecking again, everything was just fine, its just a heavy duty friggin clutch.

One thing i have experienced in the past is the feeling of a heavy clutch on a bike that has sat, which was a result of the bolt holding the lever being overtightened and causing the lever to bind. Im sure you probably checked this while you were changing cables, however, its a thought.

Comment

Working...
                X