coil interchang?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coil interchang?

quick question..... would the coils from a 1981 honda goldwing gl1100 work on a gs? or are they designed differently?

Originally posted by piester View Post
    quick question..... would the coils from a 1981 honda goldwing gl1100 work on a gs? or are they designed differently?
    Generally all GS's need no less than 3 ohm coils.

Comment

turns out no. no you cant. bike ran for a mile and a half. ran amazingly actually. then my signal generator went up in smoke. so now im going to b elooking for one of those. and looks like they arnt cheap. i got a ride home and snagged the one off of the dead 850 and wired it in. there were 2 extra wires on the bike. one yellow and one black. wired them together and it fired up. low rpms only thow. it will rev just fine. just wont take full throttle. im guessing that the 750 is electronic ignition and the 850 is points. or maybe the advance isnt being controlled.. bah. any thoughts?

Comment

turns out no. no you cant. bike ran for a mile and a half. ran amazingly actually. then my signal generator went up in smoke. so now im going to b elooking for one of those. and looks like they arnt cheap. i got a ride home and snagged the one off of the dead 850 and wired it in. there were 2 extra wires on the bike. one yellow and one black. wired them together and it fired up. low rpms only thow. it will rev just fine. just wont take full throttle. im guessing that the 750 is electronic ignition and the 850 is points. or maybe the advance isnt being controlled.. bah. any thoughts?
        What year 850? Earlier ones had mechanical advance, your 750 has electronic advance, which is probably your problem..Im rather surprised the ignitor didnt go with the signal generator..

Comment

its the 81 850 in my sig. im suprised too. oh well. at least i got her home. a friend of mine that has a few gold wings said they should be 3 ohms. turns out they are less than one ohm. fml. anyone feeling like being generous?

Comment

The '81 850 has electronic ignition, no points.

Comment

To answer your question; a signal generator with 2 wires requires a mechanical advance. Some bikes have a 4 wire; those are for the signal generators with electronic advance. So by twisting the two extra wires together you more or less got it to run with no advance. The last time I found a salvage yard with an igniter box for sale he wanted $150. I would be a bit more careful before I took a chance on burning one of them up.

You could have snagged the signal generator AND the mechanical advance unit off the 850. That might have worked.

Comment

i think i found one for pretty cheap. i feel stupid haha

Comment

Do you need an ignitor or a signal generator?
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

bike bandit has it under the signal generator diagram labeled as number 1. i guess its the ignitor. its the box on the side of the battery. it has 2 plugs boing into the bottom. both with 4 wires.

Comment

Working...
                    X