Proper oil amount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper oil amount

Hi again everyone. I just gave my '80 250T a MUCH needed oil change..i was shocked at how poor the condition of the oil coming out was. I was also surprised by the sheer amount of oil, which relates back to a thread or comment I posted a month ago about how I thought the previous owner had over-filled the oil res. Well anywho, I read in my trusty Hanes manual that the proper amount for a normal oil change is about 2 L, and for a filter change, about 2.6L. I changed the filter which was in terrible shape, messed up the new o-ring and had to drain my brand new oil again and re-fit the o-ring, and filled up with the proper amount of oil again. I started her up, took my fiance for a spin around the block, and was amazed at how much of a difference an oil change made in the way she shifts. However when I went to check the oil, my dipstick came up dry as a bone! It isn't leaking, at least not significantly enough to cause this. Any ideas? Again, I put the right amount of oil for a filter change in. I couldn't measure how much came out of the bike when I drained it the first time because a lot of it ended up on my garage floor. I really wasn't prepared for that much oil. I assume the PO just filled it until it read on the dipstick. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the dipstick is from a different machine and isn't the proper size. Thanks for helping.

Steve

Also...the bike runs much better now that both spark plug wires are connected

Was the bike on the center or side stand. Needs to be strait up. I don't know if there is a oil sight glass in this engine. I had an '82. but don't remember it having a dipstick. (C.R.S. ya know)

Comment

First time was on the center stand, and the rest were on the side stand. It doesn't have a sight glass either. I'll check again on the center stand tomorrow.

Comment

On the side stand you would over fill it. Ideally you should have the bike upright and both wheels on the ground

Comment

I had a similar problem on my 1100. P.O. had almost 2 gallons in it and the book called for 3.8qts......

Comment

Originally posted by eric_banks32 View Post
            I had a similar problem on my 1100. P.O. had almost 2 gallons in it and the book called for 3.8qts......
            Dang! It's really not that hard to look up either, I really wonder how these people manage.

SQDancerLynn1, to clarify I filled it with the proper amount and checked it while on the center stand. The dipstick was coming out dry. I rode it a bit and check it again, on the side stand, still dry. I'll check it tomorrow and will try to check it with both wheels on the ground, but that seems kind of awkward and tough to do for just checking oil. Thanks for input everyone.

Edit: To clarify my clarification, I only rode it because I knew I had added the proper amount according to the book.

Comment

The factory service manual calls for checking the oil with the bike on the centerstand. Engine should be cold. Start up the engine and run for a few minutes. Shut down the engine and wait 1-2 minutes for the oil level to settle down a little and then check the level. Add oil to the proper level on the dip stick. Do not screw the dip stick into the engine, just stick it in until the threads contact the engine cover. Don't worry about what the manual says, fill to the dipstick.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                The factory service manual calls for checking the oil with the bike on the centerstand. Engine should be cold. Start up the engine and run for a few minutes. Shut down the engine and wait 1-2 minutes for the oil level to settle down a little and then check the level. Add oil to the proper level on the dip stick. Do not screw the dip stick into the engine, just stick it in until the threads contact the engine cover. Don't worry about what the manual says, fill to the dipstick.
                Ok, I will do that. Thanks Nessism.

Comment

Working...
                X