Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Seals - GS850GT

Hi,

After riding around on the new Jessie Blue, I noticed my right fork was leaking a bit more than I like. Before my crash it would have a little residue on the fork tube after a few days and I would just wipe it with a shop rag. But now it's weeping a little more and actually built up a little layer of dusty grime below the dust seal. I should have taken a picture before I cleaned it up. It's not a bad leak but it's weeping a bit too much and I'd rather take care of it sooner than later.

I needed to order a vacuum sync adapter kit anyways, so I logged on to Z1 Enterprises and ordered some 10wt fork oil since the 15wt I put in with my new Progressive fork springs made the front a little harsher than before. I also ordered new dust covers and fork seals. Since I have no specialty tools I also ordered the Motion Pro circlip pliers and adjustable seal puller.

Did I miss anything?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2010, 11:44 PM.

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
    Did I miss anything?
    The only thing I can think of that you missed is the update to your sig, showing the new "Jessie Blue".

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

PVC pipe makes a good seal driver to put the new ones in... You must have the tool or broom handle to get the damper rod out I would think.....
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        The only thing I can think of that you missed is the update to your sig, showing the new "Jessie Blue".
        How's that Steve?

Thanks Dan. I'm going to buy/borrow a couple of long ratchet extensions to get my socket down in the fork lowers for the damper rod.

Hmmm, can I re-use #9? (Gasket, part# 51148-41310)

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2010, 01:33 AM.

Comment

o rings

Did you order new o-rings, #22 and 25? I would think once in there it would be worthwhile to replace them.

And I used two 12" socket extensions to get down the fork tube and it worked fine.

I've read several places here about adding a PVC pipe extension to help compress those old springs. I had an extra spring and cut two sections out of it, about 4" each and put them down the tube on top of the existing spring.

The main reason I added so much is because I put new shocks on the rear and needed some extra length on the front to balance it back out. It raised it about an inch. But overall was a huge improvement in the ride.

Comment

Most people do not use air in the forks when switching to the progressive fork springs, no need to replace the O rings.
            I have a long extension and a threaded rod with nuts on it that I used on Mine if you want to borrow it..
            Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2010, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Cliff, I always replace # 5, 9 & 12 although you can re-use them as well. For the few bucks it seems worth it to me but I admit to being a bit "zealous" on replaceing rubber grommets & other "detail" items.
              82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
              81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
              83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
              06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
              AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Do you have an impact gun? I have found it easier to use my air impact gun to remove the bottom bolt (#8), no need for extensions to hold damper rod. You will need a long metric allen socket to reach it.

One little tip on the new fork seals, I use the plastic bag that they come in to protect the seal as I slide it down the tube. I wrap the bag or other plastic around the top of the tube and then insert seal over bag and slide down to where it will be installed and then remove plastic. Often the top of the fork tube has sharp spots that can ruin a seal even before you can get it installed. It may be my folly to believe that a little plastic can protect a seal but I hate having to redo fork seals, DAMHIK

Comment

Hi,

Thanks everyone. It looks like I could have ordered a few more rubber bits to do a thorough job. This time I'm hoping to get by with just the seals and dust covers, cleaning everything up, and replacing the fork oil. Since I'm no longer using air in the forks perhaps the other O-rings and such will be OK one more round. I'll let you know.

I'll be sure to grab some pictures, maybe write up another "how to".

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                  X