Whats the x on shim mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the x on shim mean?

What does the x of my shim mean? I have one marked 2.60x.

Thanks for the help! Hope this is the right place for this question.

Charlie G
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

It's just a little bigger than 2.60, maybe 2.62 or 2.63 or something in that range.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      It's just a little bigger than 2.60, maybe 2.62 or 2.63 or something in that range.
      That's correct.

However, you should measure all your shims with a vernier or mic. I have found a couple that have been incorrectly marked. Also, some tuners grind metal off their shims leaving you with ????????
      The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
      GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
      GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
      GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
      http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Some of my shims measure quite a bit different at different spots, maybe anywhere from 2.59 to 2.63 or so, depending on where on the shim I measure.
        Are new ones this sloppy or are these old and worn out?

Comment

Yep, anything with X, means it's a little bigger than the marked size, but not quite big enough to be rounded off to the next 5 or whatever.

I would NEVER re-use any shims marked with an X, unless That particular shim clearance already measured at least 0.03 or a little bigger.
          Because you really don't know what it is, until you measure it!

I'm not sure if I would re-use a shim that's giving different readings on different spots of the surface? I would imagine 0.01 difference or so would be okay, because that's within the margin of error/accuracy of most Micrometers.
          I'm not expert on these things, but I did get the occasional spots on shims where I would get a small Fluctuation, like 2.63, then 2.65,etc....

-----
          If money is tight, you can go to Autozone and get your self a cheapy Micrometer, they have them for $30. Expect the battery to be dead when you buy it, because for some reason, when the battery is inserted, any movement turns the unit On, and it only takes a small watch battery,lol.
          BUT it comes with a spare battery, so it's all good!
          I have one, they work great.

NOTE: Make sure you always ZERO your micrometer first before use!
          I was all excited to measure stuff, and forgot about the Zero button,lol.
          All you do is just push the measuring noses together/closed, then press Zero....ready to go.
          And make sure you turn the Unlock knob on the backside too! haha.

--------

Do you need any shims?
          I have a couple of them lying around.....I have no use for 'em.

I know I got a couple 2.65's i believe.
          Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2010, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks all for the information. I kinda of figured that it X was a plus size/ It's on my list to get a better michronmeter. The one I have only reads to 1/10 of an inch, which is fine for carpentry and such. I have plenty of shims in the 2.60 & 2.65 range. Thanks for the offer! Only need to order one ( I hope). I 'm adjusting the valves on the 450. I haven't done it in the 2500 miles I've had it and boy were they tight. My smallest gauge wouldn't fit (.038mm) on three valves. I'm hoping that one size smaller will do the trick. If not will order them again. Wish I had a kit. Thanks again.

Charlie G
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Charlie G, those X shims are actually very useful, and many people would like to have them, because they only came with brand new motorcycles. Here's how to use them. Say you've measured .03MM on a valve, which is the absolute thin limit on the clearance before you risk burning out your valves, and your current shim is 2.60 MM. If you have a 2.60X MM as one of your spare shims, you can put the slightly thicker 2.60X in and give yourself a little more time before you have to measure the clearance again. I have 3 of these X shims and will never get rid of them. Use those X shims in good health!

Later Edit: The example above is incorrect. As Steve says below, installing a thicker shim will actually decrease clearance, and if you're already at the thin limit of .03 MM that would be a very bad idea. Sorry! X shims work in the other direction - if you're at .08 MM, use an x shim to get you something like .06 MM
              Last edited by Guest; 04-16-2010, 12:27 PM.

Comment

I don't trow anything away, at lest if that small. I think I remember someone looking for an X shim in one post. I have a friend around the corner who has a whole machine shop. He offered to put my shims on his surface grinder and make them whatever I wanted. I want to preserve the ones I have. I have a lead on a GS1000g and ya never know what your going to need. By the way..If you want to increase the clearence you put in a smaller shim, right?

cg
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g

Comment

By the way..If you want to increase the clearence you put in a smaller shim, right?

cg[/QUOTE]

I'd say THINNER shim, but right.

Comment

Originally posted by DPage View Post
                    Here's how to use them. Say you've measured .03MM on a valve, which is the absolute thin limit on the clearance before you risk burning out your valves, and your current shim is 2.60 MM. If you have a 2.60X MM as one of your spare shims, you can put the slightly thicker 2.60X in and give yourself a little more time before you have to measure the clearance again.
                    Not quite right, there.

If your clearance is already at the minimum, installing a thicker shim will reduce it even more.

If you had minimum clearance with a 2.65, you could put in the 2.60x, but why? If you went with a 2.60, you would be at the maximum, which will make it even longer before you need to change it again, and your street engine will actually run better with larger clearances.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Not quite right, there.

If your clearance is already at the minimum, installing a thicker shim will reduce it even more.

If you had minimum clearance with a 2.65, you could put in the 2.60x, but why? If you went with a 2.60, you would be at the maximum, which will make it even longer before you need to change it again, and your street engine will actually run better with larger clearances.

Thanks Steve! I had it straight in my head.

cg
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g

Comment

I am also working on my clearances for my 1982 gs450gaz. I believe the clearance spec is .001 to .003 in or .03mm to .08mm. My question is - would it be a good idea go to .004 in. (0.10mm)?
                        I also have been checking the clearance with piston at TDC with lobes at 90 degrees to valve stem for both intake and exhaust. Is this correct? By the way all of my shims have the X mark as well. All my valves are tight except one. I am using a .0015 in (0.04mm) feeler and it is a no go except for my one intake. This is the smallest feeler I can find.
                        This bike was neglected. Mileage is 45k. So if I have x shims they are original factory shims and therefore may explain why I have 35psi compression on one cyl. If I do have a valve not seating I was thinking that the extra clearance might not hurt a bit if the valve in not seating properly and needs to work itself to its seat again. Am I on the right track?

Comment

Originally posted by gswisconsin View Post
                          I am also working on my clearances for my 1982 gs450gaz. I believe the clearance spec is .001 to .003 in or .03mm to .08mm. My question is - would it be a good idea go to .004 in. (0.10mm)?
                          I also have been checking the clearance with piston at TDC with lobes at 90 degrees to valve stem for both intake and exhaust. Is this correct? By the way all of my shims have the X mark as well. All my valves are tight except one. I am using a .0015 in (0.04mm) feeler and it is a no go except for my one intake. This is the smallest feeler I can find.
                          This bike was neglected. Mileage is 45k. So if I have x shims they are original factory shims and therefore may explain why I have 35psi compression on one cyl. If I do have a valve not seating I was thinking that the extra clearance might not hurt a bit if the valve in not seating properly and needs to work itself to its seat again. Am I on the right track?
                          Checking that way will give bogus readings, use the Suzuki method from the manual.
                          Too tight valves will give low compression, adjust the clearance and the compression is fixed. Unless you burned a valve. A lot of guys run .10 mm with no troubles.

Comment

.038mm is the smallest gauge I could find. My manual shows checking the clearence with the lobes up, 90 degrees from the head surface. I was no go on three of mine and I hoping I will have enough clearence with the shims I ordered. If not I'll order again. I sure like my valve tool. Beats the heck out of the old screwdriver I ground and shaped years ago.

cg
                            sigpic
                            83 GS1100g

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                              .038mm is the smallest gauge I could find.
                              That tells me that you are actually using INCH feelers that have metric APPROXIMATIONS printed on them. As much as we advocate using metric measurements, since you are using INCH feelers, that is what you should report.

My manual shows checking the clearence with the lobes up, 90 degrees from the head surface.
                              What manual are you using? I have a factory manual, Clymer and Haynes for my 850s. All three of them show the same procedure, which places the cam lobe for IN 1 pointing FORWARD and IN 2 (assuming this is on a four-cylinder engine) pointing UP. While the cams are in this position, measure BOTH, IN 1 and IN 2. Rotate the crank 180 degrees, the cam lobe for IN 1 will be pointing UP, the lobe for IN 2 will be pointing BACK. Measure and record BOTH of them. Rotate the crank another 180 degrees, do EX 3&4. Rotate the crank a final 180 degrees, check IN 3&4.

You should note that while the cams are in the proper position, the two lobes will be at about 45 degrees to their respective valves. Neither one is touching, which might distort the cam ever so slightly, assuring consistent readings.

I was no go on three of mine and I hoping I will have enough clearence with the shims I ordered.
                              Your smallest shim is ever so slightly larger than the minimum clearance allowed, which means that there is a very slight chance that the clearance is still in spec. No problem, don't worry about it. Try to rotate the bucket and shim. If you can move it easily, the cam is not pressing down on it. Changing just one shim size will bring you up to about the middle of the range. Since you said you had all X shims , you will not be able to go exactly one size, so go for the extra clearance. For example, if you have 2.65x, go for a 2.60. If you had 2.60x, go for 2.55. That will put you at or just slightly more than the 0.08mm (0.003") specified, but for a street engine, that's OK.

I sure like my valve tool. Beats the heck out of the old screwdriver I ground and shaped years ago.
                              I'm glad somebody likes that tool. I have one in my toolbox. The only time it comes out is when I show somebody what it looks like. Then I show them how much easier the zip-tie method is, and we continue with the zip-tie.

Since you are actively in the process of doing your valves, I will invite you to read the last part of my sig and take advantage of the offer.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X