EBC vs. Barnett clutch springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EBC vs. Barnett clutch springs?

I have a full set of EBC springs in my clutch and it slips under full power.
    I am getting a set of barnett springs with a clutch kit ordered from APE.
    How much stiffer are the barnett springs than EBC? My clutch hand is already getting a good workout in traffic, just wondering

Put stockers in it or you will break alot of clutch cables. I just put EBC kavlar clutch and race springs in mine. I broke 3 cables in 300 miles.

Comment

The Barnett clutch plates and springs will give you a strong left hand grip, and you may never find neutral again

You probably just need new fiber plates if you're slipping with EBC springs

Did you check your fiber and steel plates?
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
        The Barnett clutch plates and springs will give you a strong left hand grip, and you may never find neutral again

You probably just need new fiber plates if you're slipping with EBC springs

Did you check your fiber and steel plates?
        Yea with 1166, Ported head , 36mm carbs with 147 Mikuni mains I'm not slipping the EBC springs.

Comment

I checked the fibers and they were within spec, the steels were replaced. Couldnt afford the fibers @$18 ea at the time. The clutch didnt start slipping until I put in my .340 web cams.
          $100 for the APE kit, all fibers, one steel and springs and $4 for a new clutch gasket. I will try it out. Is is just a renamed Barnett kit? The guy said they were barnett springs, I didnt ask about the fibers.
          I cant even get neutral at a stop now.

Comment

I only gave $78 for my EBC kavlar clutch from V-Twin and $10 For the springs. I gave $25 for the cover gasket it came from japan.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              Yea with 1166, Ported head , 36mm carbs with 147 Mikuni mains I'm not slipping the EBC springs.
              Jims using the Barnett.
              I use six HD green barnett springs.
              EBC are very close to stock. Supposed to be 33% more?
              You may want to try to scatter the Barnett and EBC three and three. It is pretty hard to pull.
              I don't break clutch cables. Use Suzuki cables.
              Yes the APE is a Barnett clutch. It is 10 fibers and it includes an extra steel.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If APE sold you the "extra plate" clutch kit it will chew up the clutch hub, due to the tangs on the fibers being thinner than the stock plate tangs. Measure the thickness of the tangs on the new plates when you get them & compare that measurement to the stock plates. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                  it will chew up the clutch hub, due to the tangs on the fibers being thinner than the stock plate tangs.
                  Yep. It chewed mine up. Here is my Basket after I filed out the grooves.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Well, I dont like the idea wearing grooves in my clutch hub after spending a couple hundred on rebuilding it, but I installed it anyway. I will check it now and then to see how it looks.
                    I put in 3 EBC and 3 barnett springs and the clutch pull isnt bad. I might go with all barnett. I am also able to get neutral at a stop now

Comment

Working...
                    X