Grey Ghost 850 GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grey Ghost 850 GT

I put a new stator, rectifier and got the forks rebuilt. Enough to find out that she needs more. Anyone surprised 'cept me? OK ya told me so.
    I think she is in good enough shape to justify a little work. I got her on the road for about 40 miles .........got her up to 70 or so everthing great. got bugs in my teeth and er'thing.
    BUT ..........she's leaking oil.
    Back to the shop .........

Tearing down top end

I am learning as I go. Got a Haynes manual and am working slowly and deliberately. Hope to have her torn down and back runnnig by May. OK stop laughing......I mean it.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2010, 09:04 PM.

Comment

needs top end re-gasketed. head looks good and carbs look good. NEED fuel petcock (thanks GSR I did not even know i needed this till i started reading). New carb o rings and carb intake boots. I think that is about it but i know i will find more stuff as i proceed. I got to be careful with project creep. My goal is to get her back on the road. Functionality over looks during this rebuild. There will most likely be another one in a year or so but i want to get everythnng working so i can put some miles on the Ghost and get a little wind in the face pay back.
      I will keep you up dated.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2010, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Work in progress

Comment

My wife thinks i'm crazy. I'm having trouble coming up with ways to refute her accuzations

Comment

this is where the ghost is today.........gotta get the head off next.
            This is it for this post. I will up date when i get back in the groove.
            Thanks GSR for all your assistance........

Comment

updates

Been awhile since I updated. Head came of and looked good. TO make a long story short........got her all back togather today and she started right up. Working on some idleing problems tomorrow. We are just about there.

Comment

Originally posted by laajd View Post
                My wife thinks i'm crazy. I'm having trouble coming up with ways to refute her accuzations
                They always think we're crazy.

cg
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

grey ghost is on the road

OK im going to close out this project with one last post.
                  I've got 60 miles on her after the Re-gasketing project.
                  It wasn't too difficult.
                  what was done.
                  Forks rebuilt
                  New stator
                  new choke cable
                  New battery
                  New top end gaskets
                  new turn signal relay
                  replaced burnt electrical connector (source of my elec problem)
                  New rear turn signals
                  New oil pan gasket
                  rebuild air box (o-rings, carb inlet boots)
                  New petcock
                  New fuel level sending unit

The last thing that is still on the list that i will be fiddling with is the Tach cable connection that goes into the head still has an oil leak.
                  I have tried new O rings and it still has a weep.......I am not giving up on stopping this leak.
                  I am open to advice from you experts.
                  How do you stop the leaks around the Tach pick up?

Comment

Working...
                  X