Powder coating engine and cylinders.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powder coating engine and cylinders.

Well to start off with I really didn't want to tear my engine apart for no reason but now I have a pretty good one. Local shop tried to media blast my engine to clean it up and ended up getting glass inside the engine. Owner told me he'd do it, 2 weeks later still not done but he'd have it done today he says and that when he passed the job on to the new kid. Who actually is completely inexperienced. and didn't seal up any thing by the look of It.

Sorry just venting a bit.

So the reason for the post ,

Since I have to rebuild my engine just to make sure its completely clean And since its now got a random sandblasted look.

Should I powder coat it ?

The main case and side covers are easy and won't be harmed by the heat I believe.

But I'm really worried about warping the head or cylinders. I trust the guy that will do the work but I want to be cautious.

I've thought about building the engine back up into a shell so I could put the cylinders and head on and keep them snugged up to the case and do the same for the side covers just to stop the whole thing from warping.

plz help

P.S, where can I find a complete gasket kit for an 1981 GS400L

Thank you

The heat from the oven WON'T hurt anything. I have powdercoated a COMPLETE, assembled engine before. Ray.

Comment

Powder coating a complete engine That's awesome Ray.

Didn't that hurt the rubber seals and gaskets ? That is what I've been told would happen.

And that I would have to dissassemble the head a take the valve seals out.

One more thing, Where can I find a gasket kit or any gaskets for this bike?

thanks again
      Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2010, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Any Suzuki dealer will be able to help you. Ray.

Comment

You think the oven is any hotter than the engine gets in traffic on a hot day?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
            Didn't that hurt the rubber seals and gaskets ? That is what I've been told would happen.
            I know you put the powder-coated item in the oven to cure, but at what temperature?

From the little bit of looking I have done, about 400-450F.

How hot does the engine get while going down the road?

Parts of it get much hotter, I'm sure, but others will be a bit less, but for much longer.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post

Well to start off with I really didn't want to tear my engine apart for no reason but now I have a pretty good one. Local shop tried to media blast my engine to clean it up and ended up getting glass inside the engine. Owner told me he'd do it, 2 weeks later still not done but he'd have it done today he says and that when he passed the job on to the new kid. Who actually is completely inexperienced. and didn't seal up any thing by the look of It.
              So is this shop going to cover your expenses incurred from this engine rebuild?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Wow I'd be jumping all over that shop owner... While some have gotten away with blasting , painting and oven curing an assembled motor, it really is best to have an empty shell. It does mean you have to make pieces to close holes.ie ctr shaft, crankshaft ignition side,intake and exhaust clutch cover window but then you end up cleaning less and no grit in the motor. Most powder coating places have ovens big enough for large items and can probably coat with kal guard (my choice) rather then powder coating.

Comment

Shop should have taken more care but who in their right mind media blasts a complete engine?
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

So far I haven't been back to that shop but I will try to get something for it.

Only certain parts were supposed to blasted but I'm guessing its easyer just to throw the whole engine in the booth I don't know what happened so I cant say for sure.

Pulled an all night-er and completely dissembled the engine carefully trying not to move any rotating assemblies.
                    Oh well I've had my hands on every other individual part on the bike whats another 1-200 hundred

I'm guessing the Head would be one of the hottest parts of the motor and that It could reach 450 F

The oven that is used by the guy I go to for powder and ceramic coating runs at 450 F for the powder he uses and it cures at that temp for 10-25 minutes as he watches it and monitors the temp of the parts. And the oven is about the size of a large fridge. So I could assemble the engine and use high temp tape to form gaskets between mating surfaces.

What is Kal Guard ? Google wasn't very helpful.
                    Is it something like a ceramic coating or epoxy ?

Thank you for the reply's
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-14-2010, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X