Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longer Engine mount bolt

On my 81 GS650GL

I bought a pair of case savers. They look pretty nice, but the existing engine mount bold is about a half inch too short, once everything is installed.

Does anyone know the thread pitch and bolt grade, so I can buy another one?
    It's about 8 1/4" and needs to be about 9" to work for me.

If you follow the link http://www.bikebandit.com/1981-suzuk...650glx/o/m6093 , Go to Crankcase, and look at item #30, you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

William,

Would #31 on that same schematic be too long? Possibly.

I'm not a big fan of BB #s, but if you look at Babbits online,

Free shipping available! Babbitt's is the #1 Powersports Dealer & World's Largest OEM Parts Dealer! Come see our huge inventory selection!

Look at their schematics it will show the bolt size and length. (10X200)

#30 appears to be M10, at 200mm long. (7.87 in)

#31 shows (10x250)

Yea, possibly too long. Maybe add some washers?

Or, you could check out other machine schematics to find something in the 230mm range on a M10. (≈ 9 in)

On the Grade, not sure if it is 8.8, or the 10.9....

Aslo don't be confined to Suzuki, I would try other makes too. No one will know the bolt off a Honda to one off a Suzuki unless it has an "S" on it.

Eric
    Last edited by Guest; 04-14-2010, 03:46 PM. Reason: Grade addition.

Comment

just buy some M10 stud bar bearing in mind the right length including washers and nuts. will be perfectly ok
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I did the same on my 750L. I still have some of the threaded rod I bought at the time. I think it's 10mm....I'll throw a caliper on it to be sure.

You're welcome to have a chunk of it. Send me a PM if you're interested.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Great suggestions, guys. Thanks.

I'd be totally fine with some bar stock. I wasn't sure the 10/100 meant M10 threads, or something else, but now I can bank on it.

I'll send a PM your way, and I can pick up some nuts at the Autozone or whatever.

Getting Paid tonight at midnight, so I ordered the saddlebags I was looking at. Whoo! Is there ever a good system for locking them?

Comment

Working...
          X